Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria: a civil war (closed)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    Much of what I have added in the last few days was to raise awareness that Syria is no Tunisia, or Libya, or Egypt, or even Yemen or Iran. There are two reasons for the distinctions.

First, the length of time this has gone on. It has been almost a year-and-a-half since this all began. Plenty of time for it to morph into something other than what the malcontents in Syria originally intended. The transition should have been expected. It is hard to tell yet what will happen in Tunisia and Libya but Egypt is clearly leaning towards an Islamic state. I would suspect that the others will follow (or maybe they are leading, just can't tell). In any case, those on the battlefield are changing the character of the fight. It is very possible that some of the brigades will be directly controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood, Hezbollah, or Al Qaeda (yeah, the last one is a stretch, but who can tell for sure). In any case, the war it is a changin.

Second, the number of players who have a real stake in the outcome, either in Syria or in the UN, would appear to outnumber those in the previous revolutions. Russia has a military instillation in Syria that is part of their long term military strategy to keep access to the Mediterranean. Turkey is supplying arms to the rebels and wants to limit Kurdish influence in the final state. Iran fears losing an alley in the fight against the Zionists. Israel fears another fundamentalist Islamic state on its borders. Everyone is interested in what will happen to the alleged WMDs. So again, the risk here is not so much that there will be a civil war with the associated humanitarian ramifications, human rights violations, and war crimes. I am a cynic. What happens in Syria stays in Syria (at least until after the war is over). The risk is that what happens if Syria triggers events beyond its borders.
    Just before you start to get worried you need to rest assured that the US has nothing to fear. We have it on the 'best' authority that:

It's far from certain that even a worst case scenario in Syria would have a major adverse effect on US interests in the region.
    And if you are not convinced maybe this will swing it:

The Chinese don't give a rat's ass about Syria and aren't going to do anything more than vote against intervention at the UN. The Russians aren't going to stick their necks out for Assad either, in any way beyond verbiage.
    Still not convinced? ... neither am I

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Much of what I have added in the last few days was to raise awareness that Syria is no Tunisia, or Libya, or Egypt, or even Yemen or Iran.
    I think most here are well aware of that.

First, the length of time this has gone on. It has been almost a year-and-a-half since this all began. Plenty of time for it to morph into something other than what the malcontents in Syria originally intended. The transition should have been expected. It is hard to tell yet what will happen in Tunisia and Libya but Egypt is clearly leaning towards an Islamic state. I would suspect that the others will follow (or maybe they are leading, just can't tell). In any case, those on the battlefield are changing the character of the fight. It is very possible that some of the brigades will be directly controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood, Hezbollah, or Al Qaeda (yeah, the last one is a stretch, but who can tell for sure). In any case, the war it is a changin.
    Probably true, though it's way too early to tell how Egypt, Tunisia, or Libya will turn out. The question is whether these events could at any point have been redirected by an outside power without excessive cost and risk. The choice seems to have been to let things play out with a little verbal and moral support for the rebellion (sanctions, statements, etc) and try to contain the ill effects, rather than to intervene and try to redirect the revolution. Given the costs, risks, and slim probability of success offered by intervention, that seems to me a reasonable choice. Of course that choice has risks, all choices have risks in these situations.

So again, the risk here is not so much that there will be a civil war with the associated humanitarian ramifications, human rights violations, and war crimes. I am a cynic. What happens in Syria stays in Syria (at least until after the war is over). The risk is that what happens if Syria triggers events beyond its borders.
    Certainly that risk was there from he start, and would be there is just about any "fall of Assad" scenario. The question is what could be or could have been done to alleviate that risk. I haven't seen many viable suggestions beyond an effort at containment. Intervention by any party at any point could just as easily have exacerbated the risk of spillover.

So, to answer this question I offer two senarios:
    All of those are possible, though by no means certain. There is some reasonable chance that any of these can be averted by placing pressure on the outside parties involved, who of course would face considerable risk from war as well. Of course that might fail. The question is whether any attempt to reduce risk by forcing an end to the Syrian conflict has any better prospect of success.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about nation-building. I am talking about what, if any, actions could be taken to enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution rather than let things simmer until they spin out of control. My concern is not modernization or expanding democracy but in keeping a lid on the powder keg. Yes, I am being a little dramatic, but that seems to be the best way for me to get my point across.
    That's the crux of it, is it not?

'll give a simple answer: none. Forget it, it's not going to happen. If somebody has a realistic and viable plan that offers a chance to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution", please present it and I'll gladly reconsider that opinion, but I don't think anyone does, nor do I think there was ever a point at which it would have been a viable solution. Again, if anyone has a practical, viable suggestion for how this could have been done I'm all ears, but I don't expect to hear much.

There are a few reasons for that.

First, this thing has "quagmire" written all over it in glowing bold-face letters, and nobody wants to walk into one of those. It would be very expensive and very risky, the probability of success is extremely low and the probability of sinking into an extended mess extremely high.

Second, any attempt to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution" is and always has been likely to kick off the very regional escalation it's supposed to prevent. Any effort to do that will be perceived (with good reason) by everyone else in the neighborhood as an effort to advance the interests of the intervening party. That's free license for everyone else to jump in to advance their own interests, especially for those whose interests are different from those of the intervening party. That could be averted if the intervening party had no direct economic or strategic interests at stake, but no nation on earth would take on a mess like that with no interests at stake.

An outside attempt to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution" would not prevent an escalation, it would be an escalation, and would probably kick off more escalation.

Letting things play out and trying to contain the results is not a perfect option, and there are certainly risks. The question is whether there is or at any point was a better option. If anyone thinks there was, I hope they'll tell us about it, in enough detail to allow some determination of whether it would or would not have actually been a better option.

I don't like the option of American military intervention.
    Neither do I. I don't think anyone does.

I actually DO prefer the Chinese as they provide the least tainted option.
    Why would the Chinese want to get involved? What compelling economic or strategic interest is at stake for them? Given the geographic and logistic realities, it would be an enormously complicated and expensive venture for them. What would be the payoff? The Chinese are not in the habit of bleeding themselves dry in pointless military adventures in distant places, what reason would they have to start now, and in a place with so little to offer? Oil isn't a factor; Syrian exports are insignificant.

The Russians are my second favorite since they already have a base of operations.
    The Russians have access and motive, so there's at least a possibility that they might step in (realistically the probability of Chinese intervention approaches zero). Hardly a desirable turn of events, though. The Russians have zero credibility as a neutral mediator. If they intervene it will not be to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution", it will be to keep Assad in power. That of course would be a green light for those supporting the rebels to escalate their own involvement. A Russian intervention would be a bonus for AQ, they'd be all too eager to recreate the glory days of the Afghan mujahedin, and while it would be nice to have their attention elsewhere for a while, we all recall that using Islamists against a rival didn't work out so well last time around.

I think Russian military intervention would be more likely to accelerate and escalate regional spillover than to prevent it. That's even assuming the Russians would go in. I have some doubts on that: they want the port at Tartus, but do they want it badly enough to risk another Afghanistan? Certainly they'll ship arms to Assad, which may or may not make much difference: I don't get the impression that lack of weapons is a constraint for the Assad side. They'll vote in his favor in the UN, slip him money, do what they can from a distance.... but putting boots on the ground? Could happen, but I suspect they'll be very reluctant.

One possibility I've heard floated is that the Allawites could withdraw to the eastern areas where they are a majority, with their armed forces and WMD, and establish a breakaway state, of course with Russian support (Tartus is in that Allawite-dominated zone). That of course would likely kick off a round of ethnic cleansing, among other things. Like all hypothetical scenarios, it's a bit remote; we shall see.

I don't think Russian military intervention is likely, and I certainly don't think it desirable: more likely to make matters worse than to make them better, IMO. Of course there might arguably be some geostrategic advantage to the US in having the Russians up to their necks in scheisse, but I suspect that this would be more a vicarious pleasure in seeing someone other than us in that position for a change than an actual advantage.

In any event the preferred strategy from the US and Europe seems to be to let things play out and try to contain the violence as much as possible. Not an ideal strategy perhaps, and certainly with risks... but has anyone got a better idea?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Default The hurrier you go, the behinder you get...

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    You can say what you like about South Africa - I don't have an immature sensitivity over criticism of that nature which would lead to a knee jerk reaction.
    Reactions aren't the problem, making ignorant statements with little basis other than a few random biases is the problem -- or would be to me. YMOV.
    And you get it right all the time?
    Nope. Only about 85-90% of the time do I get it right. That's ahead of the International Mean by 14.7 to 19.7 percentage points. Fear not, you may catch up when you get older...

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    The Alpine Fortress would seem a good bet if a government were trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. But it would seem a less good bet if a government were trying to outlast an opponent with friends with satellite intelligence they might be willing to pass along.
    I am not so sure. The people trying to take such a position might have very precise intel but they would still have to take the position. The Alawites would be very highly motivated to hold, if they were smart they would take copious amounts of heavy weapons with them plus as much money as they could lay hands on and they would have access to the sea. I think that makes for something that could be quite formidable. If this happened, you might end up with two countries where there was once one. That has happened pretty frequently in history.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

I haven't been reading all that much about this conflict because there is nothing much we can do about it but watch. But I am curious about something. I knew Col. Q was doomed in Libya when I saw the type of people many who were opposing him were, doctors, small business men, grad students coming back from abroad, middle aged family men-guys who had a lot to live for and chose to risk it. Very high quality guys. Col Q's forces couldn't stand against that.

Does anybody know offhand if the same type of people are opposing Assad? Or is this thing more along sectarian lines? I think the type of people composing the rebel forces is important to evaluating them and I wonder about it.
    Last edited by carl; 08-02-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Does anybody know offhand if the same type of people are opposing Assad? Or is this thing more along sectarian lines? I think the type of people composing the rebel forces is important to evaluating them and I wonder about it.
    The Syrian rebels don't have the media coverage that the Libyan rebels did, mainly because there isn't a Benghazi-style safe zone where international media can circulate. That's also one reason, I suspect, for the general disinterest in intervention among westerners: the CNN effect was very real in Libya.

Whether or not media coverage is an accurate representation of the composition of a rebel force is of course always open to doubt. Reporters are more likely top interview articulate professionals with lofty goals than unemployed youths who just want to stick it to The Man.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    Reporters are more likely top interview articulate professionals with lofty goals than unemployed youths who just want to stick it to The Man.
    Or just want to have something, anything, to do. I say this only half-jokingly. If you are the leader of a country where the majority of young men are unemployed and have no reason to believe that is ever going to change you need to seriously reassess your policy priorities!
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

UNHCR, Syria Regional Refugee Response, Demographic Data of Registered Population, http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php

Registered Total Population *

123,762 Individuals
    26,867 Households**

* Sources are detailed in each country page
    ** Household data may be unavailable for some locations
    Turkey meets Kurds over Syria chaos, By David O’Byrne in Istanbul, August 1, 2012 7:21 pm, Financial Times, www.ft.com

Whether Turkey will go so far as to take military action to prevent the emergence of a Kurdish entity in Syria is unclear, with media reports claiming that Iran has issued harsh warning to Turkey not to take military action.
    The Brussels based Kurdistan National Congress (KNK) claimed in a statement on Wednesday that PKK fighters were in control of a large area in the vicinity of Semdinli and had shot down two military helicopters and killed 49 Turkish troops.
    Syria Faces Economic Endgame Amid Chaos As Sanctions Bite, By Donna Abu-Nasr - Jul 29, 2012 3:00 PM MT, Bloomberg Markets Magazine, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ions-bite.html

“Had the Damascus Spring been allowed to flourish, a soft landing could’ve been reached both for the nation and the regime 10 years down the road,” says Sami Moubayyed, a Syrian historian.
    Divisions between the majority Sunni Muslims and Assad’s Alawite leadership have spilled across the country’s borders, with clashes between different religious groups in Lebanon during the past few months. The makeup of religious groups in Syria is similar to that in Iraq and Lebanon, says Edward Djerejian, a former U.S. ambassador to Syria who’s the founding director of the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University in Houston. He says the violence could spread through the region.
    As of July 29, the Syrian pound had lost more than a third of its value against the dollar since March 2011, slashing the purchasing power of Syrians on fixed incomes. Syria’s inflation rate was about 33 percent in May, the most recent data available from the Central Bureau of Statistics. Deposits fell by an average of 35 percent in 2011 at Bank Audi Syria SA, Bank of Syria and Overseas SA and Banque Bemo Saudi Fransi SA, according to April filings with the securities exchange. Lending plunged 22 percent.

The EU’s decision to stop importing Syrian crude oil had cost the country $3 billion in export revenue, Sufian Alao, who was oil minister at the time, told the official Syrian Arab News Agency on April 30. Syria exported 150,000 barrels of the 380,000 barrels a day it produced before the sanctions were imposed last September. Its other main exports are textiles, kitchenware and canned food.
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 08-02-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Sapere Aude

Default Is the opposition 'high quality guys'?

Carl asked a few posts back:
    I knew Col. Q was doomed in Libya when I saw the type of people many who were opposing him were, doctors, small business men, grad students coming back from abroad, middle aged family men-guys who had a lot to live for and chose to risk it. Very high quality guys.

Does anybody know offhand if the same type of people are opposing Assad?
    I have yet to see any reports of the Syrian diaspora returning home. I guess the diaspora is similar in skills to that of Libyans, a good number of them living in the UK for many years. Where does the Syrian diaspora live? I expect very small numbers in the UK, even fewer in the USA, more in France and the bulk are scattered in the oil-rich sheikh fiefdoms - that may not allow return.

There is a partial answer in this BBC report, from Damascus:
    Saab was in his mid-40s, a father of three children and an inspirational member of the peaceful protest movement in the suburbs of Damascus, they said. According to fellow activists, some of his family members had been victims of repression during the rule of President Bashar al-Assad's late father, Hafez, and had been forced to live abroad. After several years working as a construction worker in the Gulf to save money, Saab had returned to Syria 10 years ago, intent on building a comfortable life for his family.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19046521

Reflecting for a moment back to the start of the protests, what has happened to Deraa, where the protests started?

Secondly all Syrians knew the real nature of the regime and had few outlets to escape if they wanted to. I expect they had access to a variety of media sources and simply thought it was time for a change - eighteen months ago. Very quickly the brutality of the regime was clear, remember the child protester who was tortured, IIRC in Deraa and his body returned to his family.
    davidbfpo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Reactions aren't the problem, making ignorant statements with little basis other than a few random biases is the problem -- or would be to me. YMOV. Nope. Only about 85-90% of the time do I get it right. That's ahead of the International Mean by 14.7 to 19.7 percentage points. Fear not, you may catch up when you get older...
    Ken you may get it right somewhere around that level - not that I had noticed - which is lot higher than the US government of the day does. That's the point... shrugging off national failure doesn't change the facts as they play out on the ground.

Default Appeasement?

An outside attempt to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution" would not prevent an escalation, it would be an escalation, and would probably kick off more escalation.
    Peace in our time eh' Neville?

There are risks in any course of action. Right now the conflict IS escalating. Foreign fighters are entering the country with political and religious agendas that are only marginally part of the original fight.

For me it is a matter of whether recent events tied with long festering hatreds create a situation where the conflict extends beyond the borders. The only question now is, "Do the perception of recent victories in Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt along with the pent up rage that exist outside Syria remain contained or do outside agents use them to draw other regional players into the conflict for their own political gain?" If they do manage to bring others in, can those outside agents contain the fight or will the passion of the people take on a life of its own, both inside and outside Syria.

A bit of a worse case scenario, but I like to think positively.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 08-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Default Just give Kofi a chance ...

Tragically, the spiral of violence in Syria is continuing,” Mr. Ban said in the statement. “The hand extended to turn away from violence in favor of dialogue and diplomacy — as spelled out in the six-point plan — has not been taken, even though it still remains the best hope for the people of Syria.”

Word of Mr. Annan’s resignation came as the United Nations General Assembly was preparing to vote on a resolution drafted by Saudi Arabia that demands that the Syrian government comply with his plan.

But the General Assembly resolution, which is scheduled for a vote on Friday, does not have the enforcement power of a Security Council measure, and has been viewed as largely a symbolic effort to embarrass Syria and its backers.

Major powers expressed regret over Mr. Annan’s resignation and acknowledged the difficulties of his assignment, but in doing so they appeared to commit the same kind of blame-laying he cited as a reason for quitting.

Jay Carney, the White House spokesman, said Mr. Annan’s resignation “highlights the failure in the United Nations Security Council of Russia and China to support meaningful resolutions against Assad that would hold Assad accountable for his failure to abide by the Annan plan.”

Russian news agencies quoted President Vladimir V. Putin as saying, “Kofi Annan is a very respectable person, a brilliant diplomat and a very decent man, so it’s really a shame.” At the same time, Russia’s Foreign Ministry said in a message posted on its Twitter account that it would vote against the General Assembly resolution on Syria, calling it unfairly biased against the Syrian government.

There was no immediate reaction to Mr. Annan’s departure from Mr. Assad or the array of Syrian opposition groups, some of which have always expressed doubts about Mr. Annan’s efforts.

But Louay Hussein, a Syrian writer and longtime opposition activist, said in an e-mail: “The responsibility of the failure of Mr. Annan in his mission is the responsibility of the international community, and not the Syrian parties to the conflict. It will have very negative consequences on the armed conflict in the country.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

Sadly, no one really wants this to work. They all have other agendas.

“The bloodshed continues, most of all because of the Syrian government’s intransigence, and continuing refusal to implement the six-point plan, and also because of the escalating military campaign of the opposition — all of which is compounded by the disunity of the international community,” Annan said.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...rRX_story.html
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 08-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.

---

Peace in our time eh' Neville?
    Not likely in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean we need to be in the middle of whatever non-peace is going on.

If we speak of "appeasement", who would you say is being appeased?

There are risks in any course of action. Right now the conflict IS escalating. Foreign fighters are entering the country with political and religious agendas that are only marginally part of the original fight.
    Of course they are. They would do so even if some foreign power was there trying to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution". They would likely move in more aggressively and with greater outside support if they could claim to be fighting to expel the infidel from the land of the faithful. I don't see how foreign intervention would change or alleviate the problem of foreign fighters moving in.

The only question now is, "Do the perception of recent victories in Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt along with the pent up rage that exist outside Syria remain contained or do outside agents use them to draw other regional players into the conflict for their own political gain?" If they do manage to bring others in, can those outside agents contain the fight or will the passion of the people take on a life of its own, both inside and outside Syria.
    What "perception of recent victories in Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt" would that be? I don't think it would be accurate to claim those as Islamist victories, though certainly Islamists will try to exploit them, as will non-Islamists. I also wouldn't assume that Islamists moving into Syria to try to exploit that situation must automatically mean that Islamists will control Syria after Assad falls. Certainly they will try, that doesn't mean they'll succeed.

The passion of the people will of course take on a life of its own. It already has. All I can see outside intervention doing is providing a convenient target and rallying point for the most violent incarnation of those passions.

All very well to suggest that this is appeasement... but again, who's being appeased? And more to the point, what would you want to see done about it? Even more to the point, who would do it? We all seem to agree that US intervention would be a bad idea. The Chinese won't touch it... what payoff could there possibly be for them that would justify the expense, effort, and risk? Maybe Russia, slim outside chance, but wouldn't that just make things worse?

Without a viable intervening party and a realistically viable plan for intervention, talk of intervention is moot from that start. And yes, I'm aware that intervention doesn't have to be military, but realistically any effort to "enforce a separation of the combatants and force a political solution" is going to involve a substantial military commitment.

Sadly, no one really wants this to work. They all have other agendas.
    I think plenty of people want to see it work, but wanting something to work and having the will or capacity to make it work are two different things. I'm not sure any outside party ever had the will, or realistically the capacity, to settle this without a major fight. The ability of outside parties to stop people from fighting seems much overrated to me: the whole world can express dismay and demand peace, but the fight will go on unless somebody steps into the snake pit to try and stop it. Usually it goes on even after someone steps in, and whoever steps in is likely to get bit.

Yes, it's ugly. What do you think should be or should have been done about it, and by whom?

H.L. Mencken

The ability of outside parties to stop people from fighting seems much overrated to me...

Yes, it's ugly. What do you think should be or should have been done about it, and by whom?
    They could quit supplying each side with arms. Don't see anyone rushing to do that. In fact, I see the opposite.

Everyone has an agenda ...

---

They could quit supplying each side with arms. Don't see anyone rushing to do that. In fact, I see the opposite.

Of course everyone involved has an agenda, or they wouldn't be involved. Not everyone's supplying arms, and even if they weren't, would that end the fighting? I suppose it might, if it led to Assad's forces slaughtering the opposition, but is that a desirable outcome?

Again hypothetical, since those who are supplying arms will do it no matter what we think or say.

Saw this WP editorial...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...mEX_story.html

Starts out with a stirring call for leadership, but when it comes down to specific prescriptions, this is all that emerges:

No one is arguing for a Libyan-style intervention into Syria at this point. But the United States and its NATO allies could begin contingency planning for a no-fly zone, now that Mr. Assad is deploying aircraft against the opposition. Instead of providing only non-lethal support, such as medical supplies and communications gear, America could help supply weapons to the outgunned opposition fighters. It could work with Turkey and other allies to set up havens for them.

All of these moves contain risks. But those must be weighed against the danger of inaction — a long civil war that could spill across Syria’s borders.
    I assume that contingency plans for a no-fly zone are already in place; that option would have been considered early and military planners would of course want to have a plan ready if needed. Isn't it true, though, that a no-fly zone would require a major attack to suppress air defenses? That essentially means American intervention... who else would do it? Given the general public attitude toward the prospect of another war, and given the upcoming election, I can't see that happening.

Question for those more technically inclined: would it be possible to enforce a limited no-fly zone over, say, Aleppo and surroundings purely using SAM assets based in Turkey and AWACS cover in Turkish airspace? Of course that would be internationalizing the conflict...

For that matter, wouldn't supplying weapons and setting up and protecting safe havens also be internationalizing the conflict? Seems like the dangers of action are very similar to the dangers of inaction, except that the dangers of inaction happen without us or some other poor dumb foreigners in the middle of it...
    Last edited by Dayuhan; 08-03-2012 at 05:43 AM.

H.L. Mencken

Banned

Well of course once the weapons started to flow the genie was effectively out of the bottle.

Banned

Of course everyone involved has an agenda, or they wouldn't be involved. Not everyone's supplying arms, and even if they weren't, would that end the fighting? I suppose it might, if it led to Assad's forces slaughtering the opposition, but is that a desirable outcome?
    You are just burning bandwidth.

If the "rebels" had not received weapons the armed insurrection would not have gotten off the ground. One would have thought this simple lesson would have been learned from Libya.

I assume that contingency plans for a no-fly zone are already in place; ...
    Stop, stop, stop ... For a one time PeaceCorps agricultural volunteer you are way out of your depth on this ...

If the "rebels" had not received weapons the armed insurrection would not have gotten off the ground. One would have thought this simple lesson would have been learned from Libya.
    So you're saying there was no armed insurrection until the Saudis and Qataris started supplying weapons? I'm not sure that matches up with the actual chronology. In any event, again, it's a moot point, since the Saudis. Qataris, and others were going to supply weapons no matter what anyone in the US or the West wanted. It's easy to say that no weapons should have been supplied and the Syrian dissidents should simply have been abandoned to the tender mercies of Assad and his military, but since there was never any way to prevent weapons from flowing in, it's too hypothetical an idea to be of much interest.

Stop, stop, stop ... For a one time PeaceCorps agricultural volunteer you are way out of your depth on this ...
    Are you saying that US military planners don't bother coming up with contingency plans for anything they think politicians might conceivably ask them to do? Others here have told me that's routine practice in the US, but I guess they don't know what they're talking about, and that if the politicians asked for a no-fly zone the military would have to start planning from scratch on receipt of the request.

PS: On a quick look, it seems the Free Syrian Army began armed attacks in late 2011, long before there was any talk of arms supplied from outside. The reporting at that time indicated that they were using weapons that they'd brought with them when they defected. There are also references to black market arms purchases. I'm not sure the contention that "If the "rebels" had not received weapons the armed insurrection would not have gotten off the ground" is consistent with the actual train of events on the ground. As in Libya, it looks more like the armed rebellion "got of the ground" with weapons provided by military defectors, and received aid once it had demonstrated the capacity to mount serious resistance.
    Last edited by Dayuhan; 08-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.

H.L. Mencken

Banned

So you're saying there was no armed insurrection until the Saudis and Qataris started supplying weapons? I'm not sure that matches up with the actual chronology. In any event, again, it's a moot point, since the Saudis. Qataris, and others were going to supply weapons no matter what anyone in the US or the West wanted. It's easy to say that no weapons should have been supplied and the Syrian dissidents should simply have been abandoned to the tender mercies of Assad and his military, but since there was never any way to prevent weapons from flowing in, it's too hypothetical an idea to be of much interest.
    Don't put words in my mouth.

Are you saying that US military planners don't bother coming up with contingency plans for anything they think politicians might conceivably ask them to do?
    No...

... but when an ex Peace Corps agricultural volunteer starts pontificating about stuff beyond his ken I am reminded of this piece from the 1929 crash:

One speculator decided to get his money out of the stock market before the crash in 1929 when he heard the elevator operator talking about his investments.
    Access through Google to the web and online newspapers does not you into an expert on these matters on 20 minutes.

Others here have told me that's routine practice in the US, but I guess they don't know what they're talking about, and that if the politicians asked for a no-fly zone the military would have to start planning from scratch on receipt of the request.
    You have now ventured into the realm intellectual dishonesty through that mischievous extrapolation.

PS: On a quick look, it seems the Free Syrian Army began armed attacks in late 2011, long before there was any talk of arms supplied from outside. The reporting at that time indicated that they were using weapons that they'd brought with them when they defected. There are also references to black market arms purchases. I'm not sure the contention that "If the "rebels" had not received weapons the armed insurrection would not have gotten off the ground" is consistent with the actual train of events on the ground. As in Libya, it looks more like the armed rebellion "got of the ground" with weapons provided by military defectors, and received aid once it had demonstrated the capacity to mount serious resistance.
    You are just guessing... you have no idea what you are talking about.

Here is something for you to chew on:

Obama authorized covert support for Syrian rebels, sources say
    Last edited by JMA; 08-03-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Default No-Fly Zone: non-technical opinion

Dayuhan asked:
    Question for those more technically inclined: would it be possible to enforce a limited no-fly zone over, say, Aleppo and surroundings purely using SAM assets based in Turkey and AWACS cover in Turkish airspace? Of course that would be internationalizing the conflict...
    I am not technically minded, so hopefully Entropy will be along shortly to add his expertise - and anyone else of course.

IIRC previous posts and other analysts have stated that without suppressing enemy aid defences (SEAD) the 'no-fly zone' option was unwise, even if the Syrian system was rather old-style, Soviet-built it still could kill. Removing SEAD is a technical matter:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppres...y_Air_Defenses

Earlier in this crisis I was puzzled by the absence of an overt move of NATO AWACS to the region, based either in Turkey or the UK base on Cyprus, followed by a build-up of a capability to act. This would have been a diplomatic signal of concern and the possibility of being built-up to actual capability. Perhaps an Anglo-French-US carrier exercise too.

IMO the 'no-fly zone' could not be as suggested Aleppo and nearby, a quick look at the map suggests no easy boundaries; so we are left with a national 'no-fly' zone. Recalling the experience for many years with the two 'no-fly zones' in Iraq, they used a Parallel as the boundary, with regular overflights and occasional strikes on radar sites etc:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_no-fly_zones

Using Cyprus as a base, for NATO / US use, would pose a few issues, especially if Cyprus (not a NATO member, but in the EU) and or Turkey was none too keen. Nor should we overlook UK reluctance to do much more than diplomacy and "grandstanding".

A national 'no-fly zone' would require IMO access and support from Syria's neighbours. Lebanon made it quite clear even UN observers use of their airfield(s) was no-go; Iraq has its own reasons not to help and for Jordan, the consummate balancer, please don't ask.

Given the regional concerns over a possible Israeli / US strike on Iran, would any external SEAD campaign be a good thing, even AWACS activity could be challenged.

Quite quickly what appears to be an option gets more difficult and this may explain why it never gained traction.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    davidbfpo