Thread: Call for Professional Reading Lists

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default UK's top soldier recommends

Thanks to a "lurker" I have found the UK Chief of Defence Staff, Sir David Richards, has a created a list, broken down into: Context, Strategy, Warfare, Partners, People, Organisation, plus Links and is on:http://www.da.mod.uk/sites/da/recommended-reading

His opening statement:
    I cannot predict the future. But I can predict that it will test our intellectual mettle. We will have to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity, to decide how best to achieve the necessary outcomes, and to persuade others of the need to act in a timely and effective fashion. We will have to do this in ways that reflect and advance our national interest and make best use of the resources that we are provided with.

This will increasingly require a breadth and depth of contextual understanding, an ability to interpret the lessons of history, agile and creative thinking, and a dedicated professional approach to all that we do, be that on operations or in the office. This web page is designed to tempt readers into developing such attributes. It contains lists of books and articles that will provide intellectual stimulus for those who work in or with Defence, be they military or civilian.
    Sir David has now retired handing over to a General.

Moderator's Note: There are a number of reading lists on SWC and some on SWBlog so I can see some merging one day! Some have now been merged, but there are a number on COIN, which should stay separate, but another day to consider merging
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    davidbfpo