Thread: Call for Professional Reading Lists

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    I'm reading Maurice de Saxe's Reveries on the Art of War right now (thanks Ken ), and one of the things that is helping get a handle on it is knowing a fair bit about the music at the time - both the great stuff (e.g. Bach) and some of the hack work.
    Ordered it last week, for the same reason.

Guided study can be useful, but it is always important to remember that in such a setting you are being "guided" by someone else's view of what is important. It is a fascinating paradox in that it really helps to have expert guidance in getting a rough picture together, but that picture then limits what you can see. I ran head on into this years ago, and one of my truly great prof's suggested a couple of tactics that I have used ever since then.
    Wanna add some detail. This sounds fascinating!

So, start tracking down the works of people who they are arguing with and read their stuff.
    Excellent advice. Also where possible, check the actual content of any footnoted references. Books which are PhD thesis re-prints are usually riddled with "errors".
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
    Caution: for all the people who HATE population-centric COIN, this reading list is pretty much geared toward it. It has an amazing collection of very good articles as well. If you want to know what is influencing policy in the US government in Afghanistan it is this reading list.
    Can't improve on what Ken said, plus beware reading lists that are being used to further agendas.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 08-15-2009 at 04:17 PM.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Ordered it last week, for the same reason.

Wanna add some detail. This sounds fascinating!

Excellent advice. Also where possible, check the actual content of any footnoted references. Books which are PhD thesis re-prints are usually riddled with "errors".

Can't improve on what Ken said, plus beware reading lists that are being used to further agendas.

Excellent advice from the above post. My 2cents is to do independent study, which includes interviews with real people if possible. I have a book that I read on this a long time ago about how to do this, besides some influence from an economics professor. I am trying to find the book and will post the exact title for you. Learning how to do this will allow you to solve "mental crimes" which can be worse than the physical ones

Took awhile to find it. It is out of print but not to worry. They have a web site where you can download the Newest edition for FREE! link to "The Independent Scholar's Handbook" by Ronald Gross. One of the best books I have ever read.

http://www.sfu.ca/independentscholars/isbook.htm