Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call for Professional Reading Lists

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As the Army's senior leadership is walking the fields of Gettysburg, and learning from the past, I'd like to suggest "Rethinking Military History" by Jaremy Black.

Robert Haddick brought up a great point the other day regarding staff rides at Gettysburg: we often have difficulty conveying a relevant message to modern audiences. The tactics at Gettysburg were designed for a 1-2GW environment, and are often not relevant for the tactical leader. We also spend a lot more time discussing the nuances of Civil War Cavalry belt buckles than the strategic issues involved in the war.

But we in the military love our history--and rightfully so, make no mistake. The problem is taking away the right lessons from history. For example, walk down the halls of many headquarters buildings (particularly Cav units), and you will see that a number paintings of the US Cavalry in action on horseback in the American West. Yet, should we really be glorifying their approach to counterinsurgency as practiced in the West in light of counterinsurgency experience in Iraq or Afghanistan?

This book gets us to challenge the way we read our history and breaks down a number of paradigms. For example, the American-centric bias in our own history. We focus a lot on our own military history (for good reason, don't get me wrong), but we also need to know our enemies as well. There is also much we can learn from Eastern militaries.

The book also talks about the fascination with technology in military history (just look at the history channel's fascination with the technical aspects of fighter planes).

Finally, we often read about major state-on-state wars, but until recently, there haven't been many books about counterinsurgencies. Partly this is because the narrative of a battle reads well in a book and plays well in a movie--there are good guys, bad guys, a climax, plot, etc. Counterinsurgency doesn't sell well because it is slow, tedious, and filled with well digging, leader engagements and the like. But these are the types of missions armies have performed for millennia, and we should know these missions as well.

Granted, there are a few chapters in the book that are great, and some that aren't that interesting. I wouldn't recommend it for a CSA reading list, but it gives some great insights into the reading of history--appropriate since our leaders are walking the fields of Gettysburg and seem to be trying to take away the right lessons.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 08-20-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Default Once a Warrior King: Memories of an Officer in Vietnam

Once a Warrior King: Memories of an Officer in Vietnam by David Donovan.

A very insightful book on the dynamics of small unit leadership, especially in the context of a small advisory unit that is isolated from main body U.S. forces. I found the anecdotes on cultural understanding and engagement very helpful as I prepared for my MiTT mission a couple of years ago. While the advisory mission has changed somewhat in the last year, the ideas on building and nuturing relationships with your counterpart without "going native" are still worth a read.

Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon)

Default Recommended Reading?

Since my schedule keeps me busy from before dawn to well after dusk I don't read nearly as much as I'd like, but I'm planning making up for that at lease a little over the upcoming holidays. With that in mind I thought I'd ask for opinions from the members here on their recommended reading lists; mostly interested in the small wars theme but I'll be more than interested in any other topics as well. From perusing other threads I've already made note of quite a few books, but let's see what the collective wisdom comes up with…

I read from your intro that you are learning to apply Sun Tzu and Liddell Hart to the business world, so you might be interested in Paul Howe's Training and Leadership for the Fight.

Although he writes from the perspective of being a former member of Delta and now a tactical firearms trainer, he beats the drums nicely and I think his tone will resonate well for you.

Also, anything Kilcullen makes for good reads.

But if you don't have much time, I'd recommend reading the past issues of the Small Wars Journal. If you have not dipped a toe into the waters there, the articles tend to make for easy reading just before turning out the bedside table lamp.

You are an MBA grad student? I suggest The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss, his philosophy is not for everyone but there is at least something in the book for everybody. His time management tips are worthwhile alone.

Man, if I lived in Portland I'd be dropping some serious coin at Powell's.

A few that have stood out to me in the last few years:

The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
    Global Brain by Howard Bloom
    Terror at Beslan by John Giduck
    The Fourth Turning by Strauss & Howe
    The Medici Effect by Frans Johansson
    Predictably Irrational by Daniel Ariely
    The Science of Fear by Daniel Gardner
    Denialism by Michael Specter
    The Management Myth by Matthew Stewart
    The Big Short by Michael Lewis
    The Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

The math in The Black Swan gave me a headache, but you'll probably be right at home with it. If you're looking for some good non-fiction that's a bit off the above topics I'd highly recommend Tim Egan's The Worst Hard Time or The Big Burn. Egan's a great story teller.

Council Member

Default US Army's Reading List Published

US Army's Reading List Published

Entry Excerpt:

--------
    Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.

Council Member

Default Another Reading List, And How We Do Love Them...

Another Reading List, And How We Do Love Them...

Entry Excerpt:

--------

Council Member

Default The 2012 Warlord Loop Reading List

The 2012 Warlord Loop Reading List

Entry Excerpt:

--------