• Brilliant, useful

26 45.61%
  • Interesting, perhaps useful

26 45.61%
  • Of little utility, not practical

1 1.75%
  • Delusional

4 7.02%

Thread: The David Kilcullen Collection (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by soldiernolongeriniraq View Post
    Steve, in our AO (Jazeera area between Ramadi and Fallujah in 2005-06), I was tasked out to both our infantry battalion and as a combat augmentee to the MTT w/ IA 3-3. We had to face the unfortunate discovery of many hundreds of weapons (Glocks, mostly) intended for IA and IP personnel come up missing from a "secured" shipping crate.

This led to much gnashing of teeth and beating of breasts, but I argued that there might be a plus to this, one that (without violating OPSEC) I saw was taking place.

One of the means insurgent cadres can keep order is by having a monopoly on weapons and the materiel necessary to wage war. While many consider AK-47s "fungible" in Iraq, this isn't exactly so. There are only so many to go around, and they cost money that unemployed MAMs find difficult to obtain.

When many hundreds of AKs and Glocks (hand guns) all of a sudden flooded the local market, many dozens of insurgents from Ramadi to TQ had a commodity that made them independent of the larger insurgent network. They could go it alone, and they could do so with weapons (hand guns) that have a unique cultural meaning (a symbol of authority in Baathist Iraq, they were typically used for executions or maimings, giving the men who possessed them a totemic quality the AK itself didn't confer).

As was famously said about The Velvet Underground, few bought their records but everyone who bought one started his own band. So too with the Glocks and the AKs that entered the market. They gave those who possessed them the ability to strike out on their own, with their own bands of recruited MAMs also dedicated to competing in the Darwinian world of illicit fuel sales, contraband smuggling, IED emplacement, etc, etc, etc.

As the network fractured, they were under less tight control by less intelligent and sophisticated SULs. In other words, a net gain for the good guys as the attrition carried itself out to natural conclusions.

C

Excellent points! But I am hurt that you felt you had to tell me a Glock is handgun!! I carry a Model 27 (the subcompact .40)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Excellent points! But I am hurt that you felt you had to tell me a Glock is handgun!! I carry a Model 27 (the subcompact .40)

That's not a gun THIS IS A GUN...

Lar Grizzly (45 Winmag)

Can you believe this was the standard firearm for my first job as a indian police officer?
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default Holy Canon, Batman

Canon, cannon -- who's counting....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Canon, cannon -- who's counting....
    I was waiting for someone to ask him what an "indian police officer" was. Transgender I understand, but transethnic?

I was waiting for someone to ask him what an "indian police officer" was. Transgender I understand, but transethnic?
    Try being a blond, blue eyed, pale skinned former Marine working on an Indian reservation. It was one of the most fun, rewarding, awesome jobs I've ever had.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

A Glock in leather? Tres gauche!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    A Glock in leather? Tres gauche!!!!
    I own about a dozen holsters in every material but fighter pilot skin. I like that shoulder holster for when I'm deep in the woods flyfishing since I wear waders with a belt.

I own about a dozen holsters in every material but fighter pilot skin. I like that shoulder holster for when I'm deep in the woods flyfishing since I wear waders with a belt.
    them must be tuff flies...

wadda ya use for the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    them must be tuff flies...

wadda ya use for the fish?
    I prefer a dry Adams with a C4 trailer