Rob, I will try and run down a few things that may help that came up in your posts. I am not all the way awake yet so excuse the spelling and police language that may come out.

1-Next of Kin with Patrick Swayze is about a low tech southern tribe that gets some payback against a rich hi tech type mafia gang. It is a flaky movie in some places, you have the usual handgun that shoots 56 times before he has to reload type stuff, but it makes some good points about family tribes. Watch how the network works, low tech and cat dirt mean and very effective.

2-About 3 works ago the head of the Sicilian Mafia was arrested after a 50 year search??. He was at his goat farm. Note he never used a cell phone, land line, computer DVD,CD or BVD's or any other high tech ####. He used 3X5 cards and messengers.

3-I wrote a post awhile back called the Hatfield's vs. McCoys and I said alot of what goes on in Iraq was more like family feuds than classic insurgency. Tribal,Family, criminal gangs can be a real bitch because the population is flat out too intimidated to cooperate or they will be dead, their house burned, eat their chickens and go after their whole family, until they leave or pay tribute or agree to work in high risk sub-contractor like roles.

4-I also wrote a post on the 3F's (family,Friends and Finances)or how to analyze criminal gangs. Crime Networks are all about who is related to who,who knows who,who pays who. That is the system! That is the Network to watch! The small unit leaders handbook for COIN by USMC has an example of how to draw the family network (don't need a computer) I highly recommend this. It is how I learned years ago! I also added a 4Th F called who is ####ing who. A sexual relationship is a very exploitable situation especially outside marriage. I Iraq the 4Th may be Faith (Sunni,Shia, Etc.).

5-I don't know how familiar you are with Jedburgh but if I were you and he recommended reading something, I would be on it stink on ####.

6-And now for listening pleasure and cultural inspiration. Pump up the volume! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-5T3-bnaGA

7-I any of this helps I can try and think of more. Later