26 45.61%
  • Interesting, perhaps useful

26 45.61%
  • Of little utility, not practical

1 1.75%
  • Delusional

4 7.02%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The David Kilcullen Collection (merged thread)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I was waiting for someone to ask him what an "indian police officer" was. Transgender I understand, but transethnic?
    Try being a blond, blue eyed, pale skinned former Marine working on an Indian reservation. It was one of the most fun, rewarding, awesome jobs I've ever had.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

I'll get a sock and make a Kilcullen puppet if that would help. It might look like Lambchop, but we'll just have to work through that.
    Steve, I'm the resident sock puppet on these boards. Certain members just pull the strings on certain threads, and I respond instaneously, no act of free will on my part necessary.

Ron: I don't listen to Paul Harvey anymore, or his son. Back in the day he was great to listen to, but nowadays his show has just gotten strange at times.

JJackson:

I too rather wonder about that. That said, how independent or autonomous of tribal sheiks or other local leadership are these small groups, or at least how susceptible/vulnerable to persuasion/coercion are they? If these minor groups are or can be brought under the more or less sway of tribal or other local leaders, then perhaps the Hydra can be restrained, sort of, depending of course upon the circumstances of said leaders. Especially with regards to their access to, or at least freedom from, centralized political power.

Default Glock redux

"Excellent points! But I am hurt that you felt you had to tell me a Glock is handgun!! I carry a Model 27 (the subcompact .40)"

Sorry, Steve. When I sat next to you on the panel at Colorado Springs, I didn't notice the telltale bulge of a Model 27.

If I see you again, I'll pad you down first!

C

Excellent points! But I am hurt that you felt you had to tell me a Glock is handgun!! I carry a Model 27 (the subcompact .40)

A Glock in leather? Tres gauche!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    A Glock in leather? Tres gauche!!!!
    I own about a dozen holsters in every material but fighter pilot skin. I like that shoulder holster for when I'm deep in the woods flyfishing since I wear waders with a belt.

I own about a dozen holsters in every material but fighter pilot skin. I like that shoulder holster for when I'm deep in the woods flyfishing since I wear waders with a belt.
    them must be tuff flies...

wadda ya use for the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    them must be tuff flies...

wadda ya use for the fish?
    I prefer a dry Adams with a C4 trailer

Council Member

Default Dr. Kilcullen's Sources of Information

In the New Yorker article written by George Packer "Knowing The Enemy", Dr. Killcullen refers to a list he made of the sources of information available to the Vietnamense villager in 1966 (10, 5 of which the government controlled) vs. the Afghan villager in 2006 (25, 5 of which the government controlled). I've looked through some of his papers and presentations and haven't come across these lists spelled out. Does anyone have these lists? Thanks.

Default Roads without Joy

I wonder if Dr. Kilcullen has read Bernard B. Fall's Street Without Joy

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Important parts of the Roman Imperial road network are still operative today (or at least the routes those Roman roads first followed). This re-emphasizes my point that if the road network is important enough to the economy/economic well being of the people, they will do a lot to defend/maintain it on their own.
    My wife and I spent November 2007 driving around southwest Spain, including a trip to Gibralter, where we drove on some of those roads.

Plus, our house in Germany was just north of the Limes, where there are still roads, walls and a couple of Roman fortifications still standing, or reproduced.

Default Kilcullen article

Can We Defeat the Taliban? from from The Accidental Guerilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One.

(I didn't find any other posts referencing either the book or the article.)
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    Can We Defeat the Taliban? from from The Accidental Guerilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One.

(I didn't find any other posts referencing either the book or the article.)
    I'm in the midst of the book. Kilcullen is as always a good writer, and unloads on the Bush administration execution of GWOT as alienating many who did not need to be alienated, at least not all at the same time.

Some good and timely insights, but my initial impression this is a book that will not stand the test of time simply because it is rooted in the specific political issues of today. I'll reserve judgment to the end though.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Default Recovering David Kilcullen

Having known David back when he was a serving Lt Col, and finding him an eminently sensible young chap, I have been very worried about some of things attributed to him, and the COIN poster boy image, some built for him. However, I found this which I think accurately portrays his actual contribution and the critical fact that everything we know about insurgencies we have know for a very long time.

I don't agree with all he says, but he is mostly correct, which is more than good enough and shows the benefit of studying military history and doing the research.

...and more here.
    Last edited by SWJED; 02-22-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Corrected title of thread.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Chance to assess

Wilf,

Next week David Kilcullen is in London, talking at his book launch at IISS and I plan to be there. The more I listen and read the more I am impressed.

davidbfpo

Default Book Discussion at CNAS

CNAS hosted Kilcullen last month to discuss his book with David Ignatius. Video of the discussion is available here.

I agree with davidbfpo. Kilcullen's explanation of the four-part cycle of an insurgency with both local and global components, along with his explanation of the "accidental guerrilla" syndrome, seem to me the most comprehensive and well-developed and relevant extension of classical counterinsurgency theory that I've come across. I've only ever studied it from an academic perspective and have never been a practitioner (so my perspective is highly limited), but his use of experiences in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere seems to add strong support to his arguments.

I found his short discussion on lexicon in the beginning of the book valuable as well. He describes why he chooses to use the term takfiri, as opposed to salafi or others, to refer to the hard-core of ideologically driven enemies that we are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Worth the short read (pages xviii-xix)

Default “A certain freedom...

that comes from being a little bit outside the system and the ability to say things that everybody's thinking...” from the Charlie Rose interview.

Having attended events to hear him speak on several occasions and being fortunate enough to interact with him socially, I believe that Kilcullen's greatest advantage is that he is plain spoken (mad props to someone who at a HASC hearing uses the term “kick their asses”), typically calls things the way he sees them, does not come off as a pretentious know-it-all, is careful in his proposals in that they may or may not work, and and is not protecting a career.

@ Mcalvin: totally agree, if one reads nothing more of his book, the intro alone should provide one with plenty of food for thought.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Chapter 2 on "full spectrum COIN" in Afghanistan is worth the price of the book alone, in my view.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    Chapter 2 on "full spectrum COIN" in Afghanistan is worth the price of the book alone, in my view.
    ditto.

Council Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...7133284.column

- mere opinion, but there always seems to be an assumption that with leadership attrition, the replacements that step up somehow bring with them talent and capability equal to the decedents, that power vacums and voids are almost instantly filled and few beats are skipped. I would say there are accidental geurrillas with capable commanders and those without. If our strategic interest is truly longitudinal, then let the drones fly.

Default Kilcullen in London

Kilcullen gave a very relaxed talk at IISS, with all his books being sold and this was his second talk that day (the other was at Chatham House). His comments on the strategic decisions in the GWOT were stimulating; those on five times as many accountants in the DoD that State's FSO were telling and some snippets dropped in, e.g. Arab oil is really Shia oil. Or that Denmark was one of the best performing COIN in Afghanistan, as they had no COIN "baggage". That in Pakistan the focus should not be on the army, but the police and para-military forces. Now that would IMHO be a radical change.

Many here will know he is direct. When talking to a mainly UK audience regarding (USA and or Western) intervention and conclude: we know how to do it; should we do it?; engagement is a better option and it was best to stay out. I can hear Ken cheering and others.

So I'm looking forward to reading the book.

da
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-12-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Distracted and updated later.