Thread: IO: Marines Battle Rumor Mill in Iraq

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Friction and Resources

I certainly understand those friction points. Fortunately those issues have been identified; unfortunately they were identified as early as 1990 and have not been addressed.

Tactical Psyop Detachments (TPDs) and TPTs work best when they live with the supported unit, so that they understand all of the mission and personnel dynamics, and can become deeply involved in the planning process.

As far as IO coordination goes, what can I say? Until there is a uniform policy that is enforced and funded, coordination will be haphazard. I feel sorry for both the TPT and the IO coordinator that may not even have had a chance to brief each other. In that situation the TPT will just roll out and try and think outside the box to assist the supported unit. Not the best situation, but proper training and a uniform IO policy would reduce the chance of making mistakes that can get people killed.

Of course all of this begs the question; Why isn’t there a Marine Psyop unit out there? If the Corps had its own Psyop unit(s) then they would be able to resource as needed. That would also cut down on the integration time that your average TPT needs to understand the Marine way of doing things. I speak both Jarhead and Doggy, but not everyone has that linguistic talent.

Default Interesting question

Of course all of this begs the question; Why isn’t there a Marine Psyop unit out there?
    I don't have the slightest idea why the Corps is lacking in that regard. Maybe it falls along the same lines of why we don't maintain Patriot batteries, or don't have stocks of hovercraft like the ones I saw once at Ft. Story.

Somewhere a staff guy is wrestling with this very subject though, and probably with limited success.

I think what you propose may be the impetus for a joint IO publication, with the USA as the lead agent, much in the same way that the joint CAS pub was developed.

Perhaps a simpler answer is that IO, like so many other supporting fires in the non-kinetic COIN fight, isn't sexy enough, or doesn't have concrete training standards that can form the basis of standardized training.

You are certainly on to something Psyop, and maybe it's time for a broader discussion on the matter with a thread in the Equipment and Capabilities section.

I was under the impression that the Marine Corps was fielding PSYOP units now or that the Civil Affairs Groups were handling that end of things.