Thread: update on Manning's torture

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just for the record.

Corrections (not law enforcement) standards of practice include.

Suicidal prisoner, prisoners with suicidal ideations, or at risk prisoners (specifically death penalty prisoners) should be :

1) Independently housed
    2) Suicide watch (inclusive of housed in paper robes, naked, cleared cells, etc)
    3) Suicide proofing facilities
    4) Shackled or manacled during all interrogations, movement (internal or external)

Oh and a bunch more. But then again it isn't like there are formal curriculums to teach people about this or anything.

ETA: Some medical practitioners attempt to treat the suicidal inmate as a solitary individual within the populace. That unfortunately does not take into account jail populace tendencies and social-inequities that result in already vulnerable individuals (after all they are suicidal) to me victimized by the general populace. If you read the literature medical doctors with limited exposure to inmates within the general population have a tendency to ignore the populace of the correctional facility and the social pressures of that population. In other words. The jail population will pounce on the different, the ill, the sick, the lame, and most definitely the crazy.
    Last edited by selil; 04-21-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Covering the bases.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.