Thread: update on Manning's torture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    This is exactly why you need to read what this guy says and not bother with what some flunky spin-doctor from the government says.
    Salon is an opinion site, generally left of center, with contributers ranging from world class to execrable. Mr. Greenwald is at the wrong end of that spectrum, and I stopped paying attention to him long ago. If and when I hear from respected third parties that's he's begun making sense, I may reconsider. (Incidentally, he built his reputation in the 1990s with what I considered over the top criticism of Pres. Clinton, and I was not a Clinton supporter.)

If you are able to rebut him and not just blow him off then you are on firmer ground. At the moment all I hear is attempts to trash his supporters.
    I'm not attempting to trash him or his supporters. For all I know, in his personal life he is kind to children and stray dogs, and visits the elderly every Sunday after volunteering at the homeless shelter. That doesn't change the fact that he is not a credible source for anything.

OK, so lets try the New York Times - Soldier in Leaks Case Will Be Made to Sleep Naked Nightly - or is that just some left-wing liberal rag?
    Yes.

...then maybe you can trash the 250 legal academics who signed a petition on the matter - or are they just a bunch of lunatic lefties who are aiding and abetting an enemy of the state?
    Yes.

Finally,

I can understand that some people are pissed at this guy and want him to "pay" for what he has done...
    First, what he is alleged to have done. He hasn't been tried, yet. Until he is tried, he is in custody of military authorities. I expect them to take appropriate precautions to ensure he isn't a danger to himself or others. They appear to be doing so.

... but at least convict him first before you start screwing with his body and his mind.
    As I and others have pointed out, the allegations that anyone, other than himself, is "screwing with his body and his mind" are not arising from credible sources.
    Last edited by J Wolfsberger; 04-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.