Thread: BBC Documentary series on AfPak

Default BBC Documentary series on AfPak

Dear Small Wars Council,

I am a producer with the BBC in London, writing to request the help of the Council with a landmark two-part documentary series that will be shown on BBC television and subsequently round the world.

The series aims to tell the true history of the war in the AfPak theatre since 9/11. We intend to provide an authoritative account starting with the initial successes of Operation Enduring Freedom, then going on to trace how the Taliban regrouped in Pakistan and subsequently used this safe haven to impact on the Coalition’s efforts to stabilise and reconstruct Afghanistan. We will continue by examining the Coalition’s response to this threat, through the development of a population-centric COIN strategy and the surge of US forces, under the leadership of Generals McChrystal and Petraeus.

One key objective is to explore the impact that Pakistan has had on the course of the war, both through the presence of sanctuaries for the Taliban on its territory, and the alleged support given by elements of the Pakistani security forces to the insurgents.

The style of the series is eyewitness history, told through the first-hand accounts of people who have lived through and shaped events. With that in mind, I am trying to reach out to combat veterans of the conflict – both serving and retired – who have had direct experience of the role that Pakistan has played.

This could be anything - from taking fire from over the border, witnessing Pakistani military forces supporting insurgent operations, pursuing militants who then take refuge in Pakistan - anything.

If you or anyone you know has had experiences which you think might shed light on this history, I would like to hear from you.

Initially I would be glad to discuss your experiences strictly in confidence and off the record. Through that conversation, we could discuss the possibilities of doing a formal on-camera interview and agree on areas of questioning in advance.

One final note: we will be in the States for an initial filming trip between April 29th and May 12th, and hope that it may be possible to meet and talk with you then. However, we also have a second trip scheduled for later in the summer and as far as possible will adjust our dates to fit with the time and location that would be most convenient for you to meet.

Thank you for your time and help with this. I hope to hear from you soon,

Best regards
    Edward Watts

Producer/Director
    The AfPak War
    Last edited by SWCAdmin; 10-27-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: remove contact info