I'm waiting for the 2010 “The Law of Armed Conflict" to get well below $50 used (presently about $65 w/ shipping). My reason is that so many changes have been occuring since 2008, both in US and Int. Law, that I'd hestitate to believe a 2010 book, without checking original sources since then. Since what I post usually are or are referenced to original sources, I didn't see where spending ~$100 (list price) was worth it.

As to the S&R Guide, I had the same basic problem as you did. That is, as evidenced by many (but not all) sections - "Western" or "international" rules are "superior"; and should be the standards against which legal assessments and "reforms" are measured.

Here, on the other hand, are several more sections which are more positive and "local" in focus:

7.5.7 Approach: Short-Term Law Reform

Consider whether short-term law reform is necessary. Short-term measures may be necessary to address deficiencies in the law that will impact stability and to address laws that are inconsistent with human rights conventions and standards. While criminal justice laws usually receive the most attention, the majority of disputes and procedural issues that arise - and directly affect the population - initially involve nonviolent offenses that may escalate into violence if victims have no legal recourse. Short-term reform should also address gaps in civil and commercial code and procedure. In this context, short term refers to the first two years after the cessation of hostilities. See Gap/Challenge: Section 7.11.4, Non-criminal justice assistance.
Yes; although to be realistic, one could substitute up to 10 years for "short term law reform"; and 10-30 years for "long term law reform". Even under optimal conditions, a lot of "working out the kinks" is needed.

A smart country lawyer (not me - wasn't one then) commented that the (now defunct) Justice of the Peace system (minor criminal cases and small claims civil cases) was the most important part of the judicial system, because that was where most people contacted the judicial system.

7.11.4 Prioritization of noncriminal justice assistance.

Criminal justice is often prioritized as the primary focus for rule of law assistance. Other important areas of potential assistance, such as property rights or public administration reform, have not been addressed.
Property issues and displacement can affect a large percentage of the population. More people may deal with the state’s public administration than with the criminal justice system on matters such as civil registration and health services. Research and the development of best practices in these fields needs to be developed.

7.11.5 Engagement with non-state or religious justice systems.

While it is agreed that there needs to be engagement with the non-state justice system to promote the rule of law, the international community does not fully understand these systems, how they operate, what to do with regard to human rights issues, and even less so, what assistance measures promote the rule of law. Empirical, comparative research is needed. In addition, research is needed to look at how to deal with non-state, religious systems of justice and how to integrate religious considerations into rule of law assistance overall.
Yes. The term "law", if one looks at it more broadly and with respect to convincing the decision-maker, includes not only written law but also a package: "law" in the heads of the decision-maker and community; expectations of "legal" outcomes; societal norms, values and needs; and a lot more.

7.5.9 Undertake discreet legal reform in the short-term if necessary.

Whether law reform should be conducted in the short term will depend on the context. Reforms may be deferred because changes to the law may make little difference. New laws that have been drafted in haste may not have been researched sufficiently, or political will for reform may be lacking. In either case, work with what is there and find creative legal solutions to filling gaps in the law or addressing deficient provisions of law (e.g., where there is no criminal offense for trafficking, use tax evasion provisions). Short-term reforms should involve discreet changes to existing laws rather than a long-term overhaul. Address urgent problems such as laws that grossly undermine human rights or inadequate laws for pretrial detention. In the economic arena, providing for predictable contract enforcement, including oral and informal contracts, is critical. Dealing with real and personal property claims, developing mechanisms to resolve property (especially land, livestock, and commercial) disputes, and determining inheritance rights will always be an urgent need. Be aware of the impact that new laws or legal provisions will have on other laws and justice institutions.
Generally, this is fine. You can see UNese at work in defining "urgent problems" as being human rights and pretrial detention. Local priorities may be quite different.

The bottom line is that Guiding Principles for Stabilization and Reconstruction is well worth reading - and a great amount of work went into it. But, it is an animal created by a committee; and like all manuals should not be accepted as "gospel". As the title suggests, it is for "guidance".

Regards

Mike