Thread: Rule of Law in Iraq & Afghanistan

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

(Somehow I know Mike is double billing someone for this...probably me)

I like the distinction as you explain it in "of" vs. "by"; I just don't think 99.5% of those who hear, use, or are expected to employ the term will recognize the difference. This is such a critical aspect of stability and good governance I'd hate to see the battle lost in the nuance of a 2-letter word.

KISS to me is "Justice"; and that is how one feels about how the law is appled to them; not a nuance of how one applies the law to others. Key is to get the implementers to assess their effectiveness from the perspective of the aggrieved populace that should be the focus of the engagement where insurgency exists; or the populace as a whole where one is seeking to prevent insurgency from ever manifesting to dangerous levels in the first place.

I think your concept is both brilliant and clever, and yes, that is a compliment; I just prefer brilliant and simple. (I really like Einstein's thinking on understanding vs knowledge; and the imporance of simplicity). Simple is just so damn hard, it is what I aspire to.

Bob

(And yes, Carl, as a former prosecutor I appreciate fully that prisons and jails are full of "innocent" men. But trust me, very few do not know exactly what laws they broke and know that if they were held to account for all their sins they would never see the light of freedom again. For that matter, most of us would be in there with them if all of our sins were counted as well.) You know what justice is, as does everyone. It varies between people and culture, but we all know it when we see it.
    Last edited by Bob's World; 04-23-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)