I thought this article U.S. must aid Afghan judicial system (by DAPHNE EVIATAR, 13 Mar 2012), is worth looking at for its factual observations on the current state of that judicial system. Daphne Eviatar is the senior counsel in the Law and Security Program of Human Rights First. She says (emphasis added):

Kabul has a dismal record for providing either humane treatment or due process. The United States has no reason to believe it will change its practices now.

As recently as October, in fact, the United Nations reported that the Afghan intelligence service systematically tortures detainees, based on an investigation of 47 detention facilities in 22 provinces across the country.

Afghanistan’s justice system, meanwhile, is notoriously corrupt, failing to provide even the most basic elements of fair trials, including defense lawyers. When I was in Kabul last year, Afghan defense lawyers and human-rights activists told me that defense lawyers for the accused are still a rarity in much of the country. Even when a defense lawyer is assigned, that attorney often can’t meet with his client for many months, particularly in national security cases. In the meantime, the suspect may be tortured into confessing to a crime he didn’t commit.

Once the case gets to court, getting a judge to even listen to a defense lawyer’s objections or allow presentation of real evidence is challenging. Most Afghans I interviewed insist that evidence is irrelevant in any case. The popular sentiment is that with money, anyone can buy his way out of jail. Those without, guilty or innocent, will be left to rot in prison.
To the U.S. military’s credit, it’s been trying to improve Afghan trials in national security cases by providing mentoring and training for judges and prosecutors handling trials in a U.S.-built facility on the Bagram Air Base and ensuring the accused get a lawyer. But that’s made only small improvements so far, judging from the poor quality of the Afghan trial I observed at Bagram last year. ...
Ms Eviatar then goes on to argue her title's point - the U.S. must continue to aid Afghan judicial system.

Now, the Afghan judicial system is very low on my personal list of priorities. The system is FUBAR and what $s are handed to Karzai & Krooks are more likely to end up in Swiss bank accounts than in Ms Eviatar's good works:

This judicial system needs far more than a few mentors for judges and prosecutors. It needs investigators trained to produce reliable evidence, prosecutors who understand its value and defense lawyers trained to demand that evidence and challenge confessions resulting from torture. It also needs to be able to ensure the safe and humane treatment of detainees.
But, if a few billions in grants/bribes are needed so that the "kids" and "grandkids" come home quicker, I'll chip in. Perhaps, even better, the Aghanis will carry out their threat not to execute a Strategic Partnership Agreement and will request that we leave - YES !

However, like Christopher Bassford, I'm having a daydream:

The correct strategy begins with calling a referendum in Afghanistan asking the Afghan people (a useful but essentially nonsensical term) whether they want us to remain or go. Once the “Go!” vote is in, we will demonstrate our deep respect for the Afghan people and our affectingly genuine commitment to democratic processes by leaving - lock, stock, and barrels of money. And take any genuine Afghan allies home with us. Who can complain about that?

The only real danger to this approach is that Afghan leaders and voters might suddenly wake up and recognize that the gravy-train is actually serious about leaving the station. Therefore the question must be artfully posed in such a manner as to guarantee a resounding endorsement of American withdrawal. It’s easy to envision us muffing it through clumsy word-smithing and our usual counter-productive propaganda efforts. One must of course concede the possibility, however unlikely, that Afghan voters will instead beg us to stay. If you agree that we would have a moral obligation to do that, then surely you will agree we also have a moral obligation to ask their opinion on the matter.

Regards

Mike