Thanks for the kind words ("great materials").

I tune out others' moral and ethical debate about what should have been done to Bin Laden. My own moral and ethical beliefs about that were formed within the two weeks after 9/11 - since then I've had no internal debate. The limits imposed by my beliefs are well outside of any legal constraints that are likely to be developed.

I do react when I hear the term "assassination" used (as on CNN last nite by Piers Morgan) and allowed to stand without refutation. I conclude that few have read Hays Parks memo on "assassinations" (Peacetime) vs "targeted killing" (Wartime).

Amen on this:

from Bill Moore
As soon as we find the leads to his associates I hope the helicopters and SOF roll to kill them off also. We don't need lawyers at this point, we need leadership that recognizes we're at war and takes the appropriate action. We would have lost WWII if we followed the rules we're supposed to follow now.
The rules in the Navy Handbook are not that much different from the rules of WWII ETO, taught to me when I was about 8 by this guy (war is hell; but it should be subject to a code):

Then, I got a little close to his personal experiences (the non-funny ones). So, he gave me his copy of his unit history (a little bit here) and told me to read it. Which I did; and still do - learning about many brave and honorable men.

Of course, they fought the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS, regular forces in conventional warfare. But, I believe those WWII rules can be applied to unconventional warfare against irregular forces - making appropriate adjustments for the lack of reciprocity and commission of war crimes by those irregular components. Following a code is for our long term benefit; but that code cannot be a self-imposed suicide pact.

My conclusion (and perhaps I'm Pollyanna) is that we have the legal rules (the wartime rules) and the capabilities to engage successfully under those rules. The real issue is whether there is a will to engage under those rules.

But first, I think that a lot of people have to learn what wartime rules mean. We have forgotten how to wage a war under those rules.

Nice to see you posting in one of my threads - keep busy, you old Dinosaur.

Regards

Mike