It seems to me from reading Ms. McConnell's article that her argument for engaging OBL under the rules of law enforcement appears to be that he was away from a "battle zone". That seems to be a dangerous precedent to be setting in terms of international law relevant to transnational terrorism. This is saying that armed insurgencies or terrorist groups can, at will, change the set of rules under which they can be engaged by the state actors they fight simply by changing locations or hiding for a while. This would only reinforce the tactical advantage insurgent and terrorist groups have in hit-and-run tactics and erode the strategic advantage government has in having the rule of law on their side.

Why should non-state actors be immune from fighting under the rules of warfare when they openly declare war on states? Since they have no scruples in breaking both the rules of war and civilian law, why should we bend over backwards to grant them legal immunity from reciprocity after murdering thousands of innocent civilians? To limit our rules of engagement so as to increase the enemy's advantage is, in my view, not only misguided political correctness, it is counterproductive to our counter-terrorism efforts.

On a related note, this is making waves this morning:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...d-were-unarmed
According to the defence official’s account, the first Seal team came under small-arms fire from a guest house as they entered the compound. The commandos returned fire, killing Bin Laden’s courier Ahmed al-Kuwaiti and the courier’s wife, who died in the crossfire.

The Seals were never fired on again. As they entered the main residence, they saw a man standing in the dark with one hand behind his back. Fearing he was hiding a weapon, they shot and killed the lone man, who turned out to be unarmed. However, as they moved through the house, they noticed several stashes of weapons. The team then climbed a staircase, where they ran into one of Bin Laden’s sons rushing down. They killed the son, who was also unarmed.

On the third floor, the Seals threw open the door to Bin Laden’s bedroom. One of his wives rushed towards the commando in the door, who shot her in the leg. Without hesitation, the same commando turned his gun on Bin Laden, standing in what appeared to be pyjamas, and fired two quick shots, one to the chest and one to the head.
This really caught my attention. If a combatant is unarmed and in a private residence, but intel indicates that he is likely armed and once inside the compound the squad encounters small arms fire, is it really that surprising that transnational terrorists would be considered armed and dangerous and that the SEALs would react accordingly? Furthermore, if they were going in shooting all that moved (as a lot of liberal commentators seem to insinuate), why would they shoot one of OBL's wife in the leg? What that tells me is that even in the heat of a firefight, they were very professional in trying to keep collateral damage to a minimum.

Just some thoughts. Feel free to let me know if I'm talking out of my ass

(and the name is not so much meant to be about my nationality as my status as a civilian )