a Marine named "Butch" ?

I read it and also thought it was a good article covering the basics that a rifleman should know (I'd skip the Latin "jus in bello" - right in war):

The law pertaining to the conduct of hostilities (jus in bello), which has developed since antiquity and includes certain provisions of the modern Geneva and Hague conventions, permits the sanctioned killing of an opponent in an armed conflict, regardless of whether he is armed at the moment he is engaged. So long as the opponent meets the minimum criteria to be regarded as a combatant (even an unlawful combatant), he may be engaged with deadly force, even if he is separated from his weapon. He may be killed while sleeping, eating, taking a shower, cleaning his weapon, meditating, or standing on his head. It is his status as an enemy combatant, not his activity at the moment of engagement, which is dispositive.
So, good job, Butch

--------------------------
As to the question (mostly outside of my ballpark):

Can anyone give me an example of how our military generals get into trouble at the strategic level mixing the two?
The Phoenix program (and SVN Pacification in general) opened itself up to criticism, as one factor, by treating VCI cadres as "civilians" (RoL) - unless they were themselves armed or accompanied by armed troops (LoW). Thus, if those VCI "civilians" were killed in the course of an operation, a "war crimes" charge was already halfway home. Of course, Phoenix (a mix of "Title 10" and "Title 50") was not a purely military program - so it is not a prime example in answer to your question.

Regards

Mike