Thread: Combat motivation, judgement of War during Vietnam

Council Member

Red face Combat motivation, judgement of War during Vietnam

Hello Gentlemen

I am participating on a colloquium at the university about the American Military from 1917 to the War in Afghanistan. Today we talked about the war in Vietnam and the problems that arised within the American troops (racism, social problems, refusal to obey orders, killing of officers etc.). We wondered whether the US Armed Forces have conducted a survey among the soldiers as they did during the Second World War or the Korean War for example to study the motivation of the soldiers or their behaviour in battle as had been done by Samuel Stouffer, or S.L.A.Marshall. The only survey I know of is the study of Douglas Kinnard about American generals in Vietnam (The War Managers, NY 1977).
    Does somebody know of a study that covers questions similar to those of Stouffer or Marshall for the lower ranks and soldiers of the US Army?
    So I am from Switzerland (this said I hope this excuses some of my ignorance about and my bad English). I would be grateful if somebody could help me. Thanks in advance.

Regards PB

Council Member

In A Better War, author Sorely discusses (p. 297) a survey of soldiers in Vietnam addressing such questions, conducted by the Army April-May 1971. One of the researchers was then-Captain Barry McCaffrey, now a retired general, consultant and occasional TV personality. A web search or attempt to contact Gen McCaffrey may be fruitful.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Council Member

Default Here's an extensive bibliography

from Ed Moises, Vietnam War Bibliography: Morale, Discipline, and Military Justice.

A number of the articles are online (which may help in Helvetia). If a link doesn't work (Ed has so many links and folks don't always report broken ones), Google the title, etc. You'll probably find a DL somewhere.

Caveat: A lot has been made of Vietnam "incidents" - some occured; some did not. Also, a lot of hyperbole exists. Moreover, the scene changed from 1965 to 1972.

Glad you asked because I'd forgotten the location of three general Vietnam JAG books I wanted to download.

Regards

Mike

Polarbear:

Check out this book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Athena.../dp/1557503168

I haven't read it but it seems to be what you are looking for. Naval Institute Press normally publishes worthwhile works.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your help. Your hints are very helpful! Mike (jmm99) Ed's link list is indeed a trove for research. Did not know him before.
    Thanks also for the hint to ret. Gen. Barry McCaffrey (Mike in Hilo). I will try to contact him.
    Carl, your hint on "reading Athena's Dance Card" looks also very promising.

So if any of you has a question about Helvetia feel free to ask, I will help if I can

Regards

PB

Council Member

PB,

I wonder if this will help

Crisis in Command: Mismanagement in the Army
    Richard A. Gabriel, Paul Savage

JMM's link is a treasure trove.

Council Member

Default Some added thoughts

on various problems faced in Vietnam among US forces as mentioned by PB (e.g., "racism, social problems, refusal to obey orders, killing of officers etc."). Were those problems peculiar to the military, or were they a reflection of the changes in American society during the 60s and 70s ?

As time went by in Vietnam, the American forces transitioned from a purely professional force (e.g., the early advisors) to a majority conscripted force. IIRC, the overall (for all the war) enlistee-draftee ratio was ~ 2/3 to 1/3. As the force became more conscripted, one would expect it to more reflect American society as a whole, and to reflect the problems in that society as it moved through the 60s and into the 70s.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    on various problems faced in Vietnam among US forces as mentioned by PB (e.g., "racism, social problems, refusal to obey orders, killing of officers etc."). Were those problems peculiar to the military, or were they a reflection of the changes in American society during the 60s and 70s ?

As time went by in Vietnam, the American forces transitioned from a purely professional force (e.g., the early advisors) to a majority conscripted force. IIRC, the overall (for all the war) enlistee-draftee ratio was ~ 2/3 to 1/3. As the force became more conscripted, one would expect it to more reflect American society as a whole, and to reflect the problems in that society as it moved through the 60s and into the 70s.

Regards

Mike
    It was a combination. And when you factor in McNamara's Project 100,000 and some of the socio-economic factors that played into the version of the draft that existed in the 1960s it made for a fairly unstable mix. The decline of long-serving NCOs in line units was also a factor by late 1968.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War