Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: After the Bin Laden op, what is the impact? Not on terrorism. Merged thread

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Sorry, it's in German.
    If you browse with Google Chrome as I do you have a page translation option which I have used extensively and in this case is pretty damn good (it seems).

One interesting point is this:

Washington nevertheless requires access to "all sources of information -" even to bin Laden's wives ", as Donilon it so far had U.S. investigators had no opportunity to speak with the people who found the Pakistanis in the house bin Laden, the U.S. government.. insists that at least three women will be delivered. (as translated)
    Now one should ask why if the US wanted these people did they not take them after the raid? Now they are in a tug-o-war with the Pakistani's.
    Last edited by JMA; 05-10-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    If you browse with Google Chrome as I do you have a page translation option which I have used extensively and in this case is pretty damn good (it seems).
    Just about any browser has that option these days. For Firefox all you have to do is install the BabelFish plug-in.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Now one should ask why if the US wanted these people did they not take them after the raid? Now they are in a tug-o-war with the Pakistani's.
    As I read the stories, and I probably missed many things, 4 helos went in and 3 came out so maybe they just couldn't handle the weight.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

They could be hiding the fact that they did bring along a living member of the blessed Osama clan. If they did not get even one, that does seem like an unfortunate omission.
    Unless, of course, Pakistan was in on the whole deal and all this "tug of war" business is a huge smokescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
    Unless, of course, Pakistan was in on the whole deal and all this "tug of war" business is a huge smokescreen.
    Bingo! said my feverish little suspicious mind when I read this.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Bingo! said my feverish little suspicious mind when I read this.
    Careful about smokescreens... just now we will hear that OBL is in fact in a basement somewhere co-operating fully per kind favour of water-boarding and the stiff they tossed off that ship had false leg-extensions to make up the required length

Always room for some more on the way home due to weight of fuel burned on the way in... and a funny thing about chopper pilots, they always seem more able to take off getting out of Dodge when overweight than on the way in... (to hell with the gearbox we're going home
    Last edited by JMA; 05-10-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Default NATO faces a dilemma and maybe unaware?

My title.

A "broad brush" analysis by Paul Rogers:
    This briefing examines the aftermath of the death of Osama bin Laden and developments in Syria, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. The main focus, however, will be on Libya. Is the continuing stalemate in the Libyan War the more important development?
    Midway he says:
    Thus, by the end of the month and some five months after the start of the disturbances in Morocco, progress in political reform was continuing, but with a counter-reaction from elite regimes. In such circumstances, it might be expected that the strong western support for rebel forces in Libya would be seen as a positive aspect for the region as a whole. Here was external support for progressive change in a country where dissent had been rigorously suppressed. The fact that it is not seen that way across the region is of considerable significance.
    Then:
    ...a deep unease merging into anger that Libya is yet another example of an Islamic state being subjected to attack by western forces. What is really important here, and is not understood in the West, is that the longer the Libyan War continues, the more the balance alters between the two factors, in the direction of popular opposition to western intervention.

(Last sentence)....NATO is therefore facing a dilemma - the extent of which is hardly appreciated among the western political classes.
    Link:http://www.oxfordresearchgroup.org.u...t/libya_centre
    davidbfpo

Default Bin Laden death: 'CIA doctor' accused of treason

Not really unexpected given the official Pakistani reaction:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15206639

In a better world those who exposed this man's role should take his place!
    davidbfpo

Meanwhile, Pakistani doctor who helped US in bin Laden raid sentenced to prison

I'm sure this will give a powerful boost to our intelligence efforts in the region.

I wonder how they got his name?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-23-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Copied here from thread on US-Pak relations.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Default Update on Bin Laden death: 'CIA doctor' accused of treason

From the BBC:
    A Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA find Osama Bin Laden has been sentenced to 33 years in jail, officials say.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18175964

Leaving aside the personal impact and local matters I would argue that this imprisonment alongside the recent revelations about the betrayal of the second Underpants bomber does not help the West and other friends recruit volunteers who become helpers, informants and spies. Those who are coerced are very different.

Those standard reassurances we will keep your identity secret, known to a very few; we will protect you and go to the "nth" degree to get you out could be now viewed as worthless.

Incidentally Sir Colin McColl, ex-SIS Director, has remarked that recruiting helpers (in GWOT / CT) was adversely affected by the furore over human rights abuses.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    davidbfpo