Thread: Intel in COIN workshop

Default Intel in COIN workshop

I'm running a series of workshops on this with some fairly well-known folks attending. The goal is to help inform the Building on where to invest (in education, processes, & technology) to make a difference. I am looking for other good resources beyond what's been posted on intelligence in COIN. MG Flynn's article is at the top of the list, of course. Thanks for the help.

Moderator at work: post moved to RFI arena, for a higher profile and was on the Intell in COIN thread: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=5149
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-06-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Mod note added, PM to author.

Default Intel in COIN workshop: riposte

Check out a British Army Review (BAR) article by a Welsh Guards officer, a summary of which appeared in the press:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ghanistan.html

I have read the BAR article, which was accompanied by a very senior officer's response, IIRC General Sir David Richards, the UK's top soldier.

Nearer to home, although published in the RUSI Journal, is Professor Benjamin Grob-Fitzgibbon, University of Arkansas, is a historical piece 'Intelligence and Counter-Insurgency: Case studies from Ireland, Malaya and the Empire' (appeared in RUSIJ Feb/March 2011). Author's short bio:http://history.uark.edu/index.php/faculty_bio/8 and his next book: http://fulbright.uark.edu/headlines/Grob-Fitzgibbon.php

A civilian SME on Afghan commends the Canadians as the best informed nation in Afghanistan. I've read somewhere one factor was their use of Canadian-Afghans and one is a member here.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-06-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    davidbfpo

Default Intel in COIN: Are you looking towards to future or hovering in the past?

I noticed your goal:
    to help inform the Building on where to invest (in education, processes, & technology) to make a difference.
    Are you looking to rehash the past in order to validate some funding or are you going to try to look towards the future activities that the U.S. may be involved with after OIF/OEF? Looking at MG Flynn's article is reviewing cry for resources above what he already had and really didn't add much to the COIN discussion (in my humble opinion). With unlimited resources, you can do anything, you need to be creative with the resources you have.

You could try a holistic approach: create a generic situation: for example: "Political unrest in a Latin American Country" and ask your participants to determine how they would analyze it, what would they look for, how they would set-up the intel structure (man, train and equip) and what technological resources they would need.

Then, take your results, compare it to what is already out there in terms of education/training, technology, previous research/articles, and where you find the gaps is where you should focus your efforts.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-06-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Quote marks added

Council Member

Can you provide a bit more detail on what you're looking for? Who is your audience? How much time do you have (I assume, for example, that a "workshop" means you have to limit books due to time constraints)?
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Default More background and details...

Thanks for all of your responses. This is part of a "deep dive" process we do before drilling into the budgeting cycle every year. The goal is to try and understand a particular topic and potential resourcing needs before the big decisions are made. MG Flynn's article peaked a lot of interest last year...but it didn't come out soon enough to affect last year's cycle...so hear we are.

There will be three workshops. The first is to determine analytical needs in insurgency and stability operations. Yes, it will cover Afghanistan...because we are going to be there awhile...but also look at other environments (current and future) where we may not have a large presence. This will include analytical needs relating to warning for instability...and operating within unstable environments. Also, what do analysts need (skills, procedures, tools) to provide assessments on economic, security, and infrastructure problem sets?

The second workshop will look at current programs and projects as well as things within the R&D community that could help the cause. This includes education and training...not just tech.

The third is where we get down do business on shaping an investment strategy....because vision without funding is hallucination in this town.

I'm trying to find some relevant sources on the topic. I'm open to new/unconventional ideas (as it relates to intelligence gathering/analysis)...polling, crisis mapping, socio-cultural analysis for instance. If you all have ideas on where to hunt for them, I'd like to know that too.

Thanks!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
    I'm trying to find some relevant sources on the topic. I'm open to new/unconventional ideas (as it relates to intelligence gathering/analysis)...polling, crisis mapping, socio-cultural analysis for instance. If you all have ideas on where to hunt for them, I'd like to know that too.Thanks!
    Jobu,

For an innovative conflict analysis model see: http://www.amazon.com/Stalemate-Conf...tt_at_ep_dpi_1

Regards,

Marc