Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
great post, bill.

Political "chest thumping" has polluted the environment throughout the "aq events" (from the 1993 wtc bombing).

I think one reason for that "chest thumping" lies in the symbiotic relationship (like them bug pictures) between the political class and the media (mainstream and otherwise): Political class < > media. Both have a need to fill the 24-hour news cycle.

I think a second reason lies in the uncertainty and outright disputation (among the same performers) about how to tackle the "aq events". If one is not certain about one's course of action, then one reverts back to the "great gorilla" plan - chest thumping.

I think a third reason is a loss in the sense of personal confidentiality - that is, that certain facts and communications remain confidential, regardless of whether or not they are "classified" (and at what level). What happens in vegas today, is not likely to stay in vegas.

In any event, we (as viewers) have been treated to - and probably in the future will be treated to - an event-based play by play and color commentary by the formal and informal spokespeople of whatever administration is in office. That is contrary to everything i was taught.

A definite need exists for extensive force feeding of the political class with very large amounts of this (orig. Ht to a guy named moore):

Smaller Cup of Shut.jpg

i was struck by dave maxwell's brief article at swj, a recommendation for quiet professionals, which also deals with "chest thumping" - but of such a lesser order of magnitude than the politico-media "chest thumping".

My three cents worth.

Regards

mike
+1