Next month I'll be giving a presentation to Officers and Senior NCOs in a BCT that is preparing for deployment to Afghanistan. As part of the module that I am instructing, I've been asked to dedicate some time to discussion of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission. Quite frankly, I know very little about this commission. I've read most of the materials on their website and a handful of items that I've found online. But, I don't have any feel for what would be relevant to leaders at BDE and below. My understanding is analogous to what would know about the administration of a government program if one only read the legislation creating the program, but none of the regulations and procedures dictating how it is run.

Responses to any of the following questions would be appreciated...

1) Have you interacted with the AIHRC? If yes, in what capacity (your duty position, who initiated the contact, and why)?

2) Do you have any insight into what leaders at BDE or below should know about AIHRC?

3) Do you have any thoughts on the specific activities of AIHRC based upon your observations or your own research? In particular, do you have thoughts on how the commission could better accomplish its mandate and/or thoughts on whether the commission has too broad or too narrow of a mandate (and, of course, why)?

Thanks.