Thread: End of Empires: who and what was responsible? (post WW2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Entire post.
    JMA--

It is my observation that you take a (deleted) tone in your posts towards other members in this BB. It is also my observation, based upon the content of your posts, that this tone is unwarranted. In regards to you taking this tone with me, I suggest that you stop. Immediately.

In regards to your posts on this specific topic, you have offered broad interpretations of the history of American foreign relations, as well as of international diplomatic history, as well as of American political history, that were in vogue several decades but have proven to be intellectually and historiographically unsustainable in the last twenty plus years.

This isn't to say that all of your positions are indefensible, but rather that some are, but for entirely different reasons. Your use of some primary source materials does not disguise the fact that you are out of touch with several trajectories of historiographical discourse that provide sustainable frameworks for interpretation.

(Deleted) More research would also help.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-24-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Moderator intervention, after two posts by Moderators for calm and PM to author.
    It is a sad irony that we have more media coverage than ever, but less understanding or real debate.
    Alastair Campbell, ISBN-13 9780307268310, p. xv.
    There are times when it is hard to avoid the feeling that historians may unintentionally obstruct the view of history.
    Peter J. Parish, ISBN-10 0604301826, p. ix.
    Simple answers are not possible.
    Ian Kershaw, ISBN-10 0393046710, p. xxi.

Default Keep Calm and Carry On - with grace and humour!

I repeat an earlier Moderator's intervention:The WW2 British slogan 'Keep Calm and Carry On' appears to fit here and now. In recent days the tone has broken down, so stay within the SWC rules please.

Steve Blair has also posted as a Moderator.

This thread has gathered momentum, with posts that I have found interesting in a niche area (Saigon 1945) and others have raised valid arguments that FDR was one factor in the demise of empires. If you are not familiar with 'grace and humour' that is my shorthand for the SWC rules.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-24-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    davidbfpo

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    I repeat an earlier Moderator's intervention:The WW2 British slogan 'Keep Calm and Carry On' appears to fit here and now.
    Huzzah for sensible moderation. If I may, a joke from the colonial times:

Q: Why does the sun never set on the British Empire?

A: Because God doesn't trust the Englishmen in the dark.

Jolly good.

(image from alvarezguitargirl.net)