Steve,

You know the old adage, "if you are in charge of everything, you are responsible for everything."

I don't recall anyone putting the US in charge, that is a claim we have made for ourselves. The fact that implied responsiblity comes along with that is unavoidable.

The best cure is to not set oneself up as "being in charge of everything" to begin with. This brings us back to FDR. Yes, he indeed called for an end to Colonialism, and that did not play well with his Euro buddies. But I am sure that Chruchill choked on his cigar smoke and spit scotch when FDR laid his concept of "The Four Policemen" on him. This was a plan for the League of Nations to be replaced following the war by a coaltion of the US, Russia, China and the UK to share responsibilities for maintaining security around the globe.

Of course, we all know how that played out. After WWI UK, France and the US remained competitiors, but on (relatively) friendly terms, as they divied up the spoils of conquest. Following WWII these "four policemen" broke quickly into two camps, resulting in what we like to call "The Cold War."

It is a concept with some merit though, and perhaps the number is more like 6 and India and Brazil join the mix....

(But don't jump up and beat your chest proclaming "I'm in charge!!" and not expect to be held responsible when something breaks or goes wrong)