Thread: "The Wrong War" Bing West

Council Member

Default "The Wrong War" Bing West

I just read "The Wrong War" by Bing West. I'm curious about any serving or retired military type's comments and observations on this book.

Mr. West is a former Marine Officer, and Under Sec. of Defense. His take on our current involvement and commitment in Afgahanistan is clear headed in my opinion. His recommendations for our future in Afganistan are different from the current direction we are taking.

He spent close to two years of imbedded time with US and British troops while working on this book.

Default Sounds Good to Me!

Just started reading "Wrong War" myself and I am in the retired catagory. Been a fan of Mr West for a long time. Read and studied one of his first works "Small Unit Actions in Viet Nam" (pub. 1966) when I was a Marine infantry platoon leader in the early seventies. As a rifle company commander I used the same work to help teach my platoon leaders better tactics. I have made it a point to read just about everything he has published since. My opinion is that his book "The Village" makes him a counterinsurgency expert and that means he has been an expert for a long time. I think his writing is spot on...he always starts at the tactical level and brings it back to the strategic tapestry. His time at the tactical or troop level gives him a credibility that is hard to beat. He is critical of the methods of both wars and I believe that criticism is valid. He exposes what I call military dogma - bad opinion disguised as doctrine. Really do not understand why our senior military leadership does not listen to what he is telling them.
    Last edited by Polarbear1605; 05-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    "If you want a new idea, look in an old book"

Council Member

Semper Fi, Polar Bear.

You and I are of an age. I agree with your comments on Bing West's previouse and current books.

I've been a squad leader in M-3/5, and E Co in the 2nd Recon Bn just a tad before you did PLC, Quantico or USNA route. Spent some time in the Guns sections and the 3.5 Rocket Squads. Lt. Col. Kenny Houghton was my idol.
    He ran the best Infantry Battalion in the Corps prior to Vietnam. I understand he retired as a Maj, Gen.

Bing West is one tough, and solid individual. The next time I'm in Newport,RI I will hunt him down and offer to buy him a drink of his choice.

I'm with you on the "Village", "The Strongest Tribe" and his latest "The Wrong War."

I pass by your Hamlet enroute to FL annually. I usually stop and spend a day or two with a squad leader who is my friend in Seaboard, NC. We fish the Roanoke River and remember the good old days.

I recommend the interview with Bing West by the SWC connected to this thread.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-18-2011 at 05:37 AM.