Thread: U.S. Touts Provincial Reconstruction Teams as a Model

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

5 Dec 07 testimony before the HASC Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee on Provincial Reconstruction Teams - Historical and Current Perspectives on Doctrine and Strategy:

Bernard Carreau, NDU

General (Ret) Volney F. Warner

BG (Ret) Rick Olson (Former Cdr CJTF-76)

Kathleen Hicks, CSIS

Small world.

Volney Warner was my Corps Commander--his son was my comrade in Ranger School and later in 2-505 when senior had XVIII Corps. Jim (the son) retired in 2006 as a BG.

Rick Olson and I took French together.

Council Member

29 Jan 08 testimony before the HASC Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee on Interagency Reform: Can the Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) Case Study Illuminate the Future of Reconstruction and Stabilization Operations?

Carlos Pascual, The Brookings Institution
    ...as a nation we need to understand that addressing conflict and helping nations build peace is a national security priority. It requires both civilian and military capacity. Yet we do not have a national security budget – we have a budget for defense and another for foreign affairs. A stabilization and reconstruction capacity that is essential for the success of defense missions will remain under funded if it is not seen as part of an investment in national security that cuts across accounts....
    Barbara Bodine, Princeton University

Michele Flournoy, Center for a New American Security

Nora Bensahel, RAND
    ....there are some ways to minimize some of the negative effects of interagency competition and increase U.S. capacity for stability operations. These include:

1. Manage interagency competition....

2. Create incentives for interagency secondments....

3. Increase the capacity of USAID....

4. Establish flexible funding mechanisms....

5. There is no substitute for an involved president and an involved Congress....

Council Member

14 Feb 08 testimony before the HASC Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee on Provincial Reconstruction Teams: A Case for Interagency National Security Reform?:

Ryan Henry, Principal Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (Policy)

Stephen D. Mull, Acting Asst Secretary, Bureau of Pol-Mil Affairs, DoS

Michael E. Hess, Asst Administrator, Democracy, Conflict, and Humanitarian Assistance Bureau, USAID

(Barry Pavel, Principal Deputy Asst SecDef (SOLIC and Interdependent Capabilities), also appeared, but a transcript of his testimony is not available.)

Council Member

Default Different PRTs

I think its been pointed out elsewhere, but its worth noting that that PRTs in Afghanistan are different from those in Iraq. Having just left Baghdad, I'm more familiar with Iraq. In Iraq, the PRTs are State Department organizations that, while they have military members, are supervised by the US embassy (by the Office of Provincial Affairs--OPA). Iraq PRTs, for the most part, do not have their own organic security capability and are reliant on nearby military units. My understanding is that the PRTs in Afghanistan are part of the military chain of command (reporting through DoD)and have a small military unit (platoon?) organic to provide security and help them move around the battlefield.
    I think these differences are significant when you consider the underlying impact on the missions and capabilities of the PRTs in each campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
    I think its been pointed out elsewhere, but its worth noting that that PRTs in Afghanistan are different from those in Iraq.
    From my limited understanding of the PRTs in Afghanistan, it's somewhat more complex than that. I believe there are 12 operating in the American sector, 10 of which are US (1 Turkish and 1 Aus). Lines of reporting are "complex", and sometimes involve a dual structure. There are also separate PRTs and "embedded" PRTs - the ones with troops.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default Afghanistan PRT's

USIP Report # 152

The U.S. Experience with Provincial Reconstruction Teams in Afghanistan: Lessons Identified

by Robert M. Perito

http://www.usip.org/pubs/specialreports/sr152.html

Summary

* Important lessons for current and future U.S. peace and stability operations can be found in the experiences of Americans who served in Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs) in Afghanistan. PRTs are small, joint civilian-military organizations whose mission is to promote governance, security, and reconstruction throughout the country.
    * In June 2005, the United States led thirteen PRTs and the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) directed nine. This multinational program was characterized by an emphasis on flexibility, a proliferation of national models, and an ad hoc approach to security and development.
    * The U.S. model featured a complement of seventy-nine American military and three civilian government representatives. The U.S. PRTs stressed governance, force protection, and quick impact development projects to "win hearts and minds."
    * The PRT emphasis on governance translated into supporting the respective provincial governors.
    * Security was limited to self-protection, providing a security presence, and assisting Afghan forces.
    * Reconstruction projects suffered from a lack of coordination and oversight. Military involvement in development brought criticism from relief agencies that claimed it put them at risk by blurring the distinction between combatants and humanitarian workers.
    * In the view of many PRT veterans, the entire multinational PRT program would benefit from an agreed concept of operations and an effective central coordinating authority. The U.S. PRTs would profit from interagency delimitation of civilian and military roles and improved civilian agency staffing, funding, and administrative support.
    * PRT veterans believe the addition of USAID representatives and better coordination with Afghan national development plans improved U.S. PRT reconstruction efforts. Rapidly disbursing long-term funding sources available to civilian representatives would rationalize and speed reconstruction efforts, which should focus on security-related infrastructure.
    * PRT veterans also argue that PRTs are primarily military organizations; thus, better suited for performing security-related tasks. PRTs should concentrate on supporting Afghan security sector reform and providing a security presence in contested areas.
    Sapere Aude