Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Thank you.

I am not confused. It is you who has not understood what I was stating.

It is just the point I was making.

The increase in aid indicates that the US is concerned about China's hegemonic pursuit in SCS in general and the threat to Philippines in particular.

And the Philippines allowing greater access to airfields and areas for bases indicates that the Chinese forays into areas claimed by China is paramount in their threat perception.
This has always been true, there is no change of US policy here, only a change of Filipino willingness to welcome conventional security forces due to their own growing concerns over China.

US policy is much closer to what Carl advocates than to what I advocate. I merely state my own opinion here, and my opinion is that the majority opinion is based on a shaky foundation and far more likely to result in unnecessary warfare with China than it is to prevent or prevail over the necessary conflicts that might well someday arise. I recognize I could be wrong, but this is a forum to discuss these things, not to all sit around deluding ourselves with happy group think. We'll leave that for the various think tanks, political parties, military HQs, and others who sit in monoculture groups, staring at problems through a set of corporate approved lenses.