Thread: How soldiers deal with the job of killing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Davidbfpo

When a soldier kills someone at close quarters, how does it affect them? This most challenging and traumatic part of a soldier's job is often wholly overlooked.

Soldiers kill. It goes with the job, and they do it on our behalf.

But it's an aspect of their work which is widely ignored - even by the soldiers themselves - and this can cause them great psychological difficulty, experts say.
    I could not open the link.

However, on the quote, in close combat, speaking from experience, I don't think there is time to think.

It is a question of Kill or be Killed.

I presume Self Preservation takes over.

The psychological effect is there and it is dependant on the man and his background. One wonders in retrospect as to 'was it worth it'?! What about his family and how are they coping now, now that he has been killed. It haunts. Quite a few of us, do feel guilty, and at the same time confused, since when returned to sanity, one abhors the act and yet, for self preservation, one had to do what had to be done.

Catch 22.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    The psychological effect is there and it is dependant on the man and his background.
    How exactly?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    How exactly?
    My comments are based on the Indian context.

The urban educated and being used to creature comfort are cautious and careful. He is slower (fractionally) to react with an intent to kill when confronted by an enemy soldier who is about to kill him. Just fractionally since Self Preservation is a powerful motivator.

The rural, rough and tumble types who have faced the real rigours of survival in an unequal society is mentally strong to accept the fact that he has to kill or be killed and hence he has less of a hesitation to shoot in close quarter battle.

Then there are those who have martial traditions. Though the marital background and 'honour at all costs' phenomenon of certain tribes and communities are fading, yet there are those who still possess an iota of that. They have no hesitation to kill if the need arises for the honour of their community (and hence the Nation) and for their Regiment and unit (being composed of the same tribe/ community).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    My comments are based on the Indian context.
    I ask because I am interested to learn about the Indian context. I look for threads of commonality in this regard across nations/cultures/classes/ethnicities/races. It educates me.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    I ask because I am interested to learn about the Indian context. I look for threads of commonality in this regard across nations/cultures/classes/ethnicities/races. It educates me.
    I clarified that my comments were based on the Indian context, since no culture or environment is similar.

It would hence be contextual to my comments.