Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
...commentary on how a chat room might support the larger effort of the Council.

First, is it technically feasible, given the architecture, and second, is it desired?
Yes it is technically feasible. I've done this for a couple very large boards and scaling becomes an issue, and without breakout rooms the scroll can become a blur. One example we had several thousand people in a chat room without moderation.

One site that created a chatroom found that it was heavily used and another website found it was rarely used. One group finally broke away from chatrooms and integrated an IRC server into their network. That worked quite nicely even if I was skeptical.

Now though, and today specifically, chatrooms are becoming passe' A live stream video channel with a scrolling IRC chat for feedback is becoming the standard. For the best example look up the TwitLive stream. I can see doing something similar with weekly or monthly roundtables. If the viewership is there. With this audience that might not be possible.