I am actually working on the presence of radical Islamic armed groups in Central Africa.

For years, the Ugandan government is claiming that some armed groups at the border with DRC are linked with Al Shabaab. The fact that Uganda is deeply involved into Somalia makes the link between Al Shabaab and other Islamic radical armed groups credible and attractive.
In the same time, Pakistani troops, through blue helmets from MONUC then now MONUSCO, are present in this war thorn region.
Islam is not new in Uganda, Muslims are present in Central Africa since centuries.
From my various trips in remote places in DRC, even far from Uganda and Kenya, I witnessed presence of Islam. Since several years, not even a decade, I have seen Islam becoming more and more popular in places where Pakistani blue helmets were present.

As any deployed army and country with economical and strategic interests (there is oil in that part of Central Africa), Pakistan has also been conducting intelligence gathering and operations. It is therefore legitimate to assume that ISI has been involved at some point.

At this point, it’s only a question in a work in progress, but due to the fact that ISI had and still has strong links with several radical Islamic armed groups, I wonder to what point they are involved into the emergence of armed groups with radical Islamic narrative in this part of Africa.
Is there evidence of the presence of Central Africa fighters being trained in Pakistan? Is there any evidence of ISI supporting radical Islam groups in Central Africa?
And if not where and how, in a part of the world which is deeply rooted into Animism and Catholicism such Islam based narrative came up?