Thread: The Way Of War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Why bother?
    Hard to explain, but I believe if I can develop a comprehensible toolkit/conceptual framework that will allow for a clearer separation of signal to noise and enhance our ability to connect the dots, in terms of future forecasting/foresight, then it will be a net benefit to policy makers.

I know that the attempt could very well be little more than a Sisyphusian task in redundancy, that still does not mean that there are people out there who are already trying to do something similar. To be honest, I do not want to let over a decade of serious study and thought go to waste.

Plus, for better or worse I have developed a talent in this area of knowledge and need to pay rent/food. If it is deemed a waste of time then I'll just have to walk away and try and work out what it is I can do to make a living. More than anything it's the idea of the potential to improve our ability to future forecast that keeps me going.

I for one would not have guessed the Russians would be capable to rush two division equivalents through a tunnel on short notice, overwhelm Georgian forces in a brief hasty attack on terrain which benefited the defence and have a flag rank officer WIA while he lead an advance party. It was totally not Russian in my opinion, but it happened. And this wasn't even about new technologies.
    The utilisation/exploitation of time and space brought about by the use of new/developing technology in warfare. From my reading the Russians were simply adapting to, and exploiting, new technology. This is part and parcel of why I think what I do is important, not for myself but policy makers.
    Last edited by Taiko; 01-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.