Thread: RFI Arbaki in Afghanistan

Council Member

Default RFI Arbaki in Afghanistan

Hello - I do have access to Arbaki and community leaders here. The focus of my effort is to understand this dynamic as well as possible, especially as it relates to non-Pashtun communities, so that I can give effective COA's to those I am advising. My hypothesis is that many Arbaki groups in non-Pashtun communities are misnamed, and could be better understood by thinking of them as militias, operating without the accountability and legitimacy inherent in Pashtunwali. I have interviewed Arbaki commanders, Arbaki soldiers, and community leaders in multi-ethnic communities - an ongoing effort.

1. As the institution of Arbaki seems to be grounded in Pashtunwali, how is the institution different in Hazara, Uzbek, Arab or Tajik communities?

2. Are Arbaki soldiers more loyal to the Arbaki commander or to the village/Jirga?

3. How has the insitution of Arbaki security forces post-Taliban changed dispute resolution in the community?

4. If dispute resolution is done by the Arbaki commander instead of the Jirga or community elders, does this mean that the Arbaki is more accurately characterized as a Militia? (I am seeing Arbaki in areas where I am not sure there even is a Jirga)

5. What is the avenue of redress for someone in a dispute who is not satisfied with the Arbaki decision?

6. How are Arbaki security forces effective against the Taliban at the local level?

8. To whom is the Arbaki commander in a village accountable?

9. Is being a member of the Arbaki considered an honor or shameful?

10. What is the history of the formation and use of Arbaki in Hazara, Uzbek, Nuristani, Arab and Tajik communities in Afghanistan?

11. Who collectes and distributes community compensation for Arbaki, the Jirga or the Arbaki commander?
    Last edited by Alsultani; 06-22-2011 at 06:10 AM.