Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
For my own edification, is there a standard set of metrics for evaluating performance of armour?
I am still in the early phases of my research. I haven’t found any standards metrics on main battle tank (MBT) performance thus far. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

That said, I judge the tank's performance as successful if it accomplishes its mission. And from what I’ve read thus far, the heavy armor and devastating firepower of the Abrams, Challenger, and Leopard MBTs have enabled these vehicles to accomplish their missions, while excelling in combat against insurgents in Iraq and, in the case of the Leopard, in the Afghanistan. These vehicles can simply go places where very few other vehicles can go.

Still, there are drawbacks to the use of armor against insurgents, especially in urban areas. Although the intimidation factor of tanks is useful against insurgents, it can also create a sense of fear among the population we are trying to win over. The destructive power of the tanks' main gun can also create excess collateral damage that can be counterproductive to the mission to “win hearts and minds.”