Thread: Help with Research on M1 Abrams

Default Help with Research on M1 Abrams

I am currently researching the combat performance of the M1 Abrams against Iraqi insurgents during Operation Iraqi Freedom. The research is part of my honors research project in military history at the University of Maryland.

I am having difficulties finding much material on this topic. Does anyone on the boards have suggestions as to where I could find some good sources on the Abrams' performance in Iraq? Thanks!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlchadwick View Post
    I am currently researching the combat performance of the M1 Abrams against Iraqi insurgents during Operation Iraqi Freedom. The research is part of my honors research project in military history at the University of Maryland.

I am having difficulties finding much material on this topic. Does anyone on the boards have suggestions as to where I could find some good sources on the Abrams' performance in Iraq? Thanks!
    Abrams' performance during the first weeks of OIF:
    http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1539.pdf

Abrams' performance during the second battle of Fallujah:
    http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/cs...E7817CDC4FD7=1
    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/narod/..._terrain_iraq/

Annual OIF OPTEMPO (Miles per year) of Abrams and other combat systems (see slide 14).
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007combatv...ion28810am.pdf

Regards,

Marc

Ask CALL, Ft Knox, US Armor association, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Abrams' performance during the first weeks of OIF:
    http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1539.pdf

Abrams' performance during the second battle of Fallujah:
    http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/download/cs...E7817CDC4FD7=1
    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/narod/..._terrain_iraq/

Annual OIF OPTEMPO (Miles per year) of Abrams and other combat systems (see slide 14).
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007combatv...ion28810am.pdf

Regards,

Marc
    Good stuff! Thanks!

Default Some hits

http://www.alsa.mil/library/alsb/ALSB%202008-1.pdf - pp 6-9
    If you have access through your library to professional journals, check Small Wars & Insurgencies, Volume 21, Issue 3, 519 for an article titled "It's all the Rage" about Armor performance in insurgencies.

The following thread has lots of info and links that you may want:

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=3951
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    http://www.alsa.mil/library/alsb/ALSB%202008-1.pdf - pp 6-9
    If you have access through your library to professional journals, check Small Wars & Insurgencies, Volume 21, Issue 3, 519 for an article titled "It's all the Rage" about Armor performance in insurgencies.

The following thread has lots of info and links that you may want:

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=3951
    Thanks for the help. I am getting a lot of good data about the Abrams in Iraq, and it’s mostly been positive. The links everybody has provided have been extremely helpful.

As I make my way through the available material on the Abrams in post-Saddam Iraq, I am seeing three main battles that the weapon system played a prominent role in: Najaf (Spring/Summer 2004), Fallujah (November 2004), and the Tal Afar (2005-2006).

In order to keep my paper's length within limits, I am considering focusing my research on these three battles as examples of the Abrams (A1 and A2 models) combat performance against insurgents.

Would anyone agree/disagree over the use of these three battles as the focus of an essay on the performance of the Abrams against insurgents in the post-Saddam Iraq?

Gentlemen, I hope you find the two attachments helpful. The two documents were written immediately following the first month of PHANTOM FURY/AL FAJR and are an account of Company A, 2d Tanks in Fallujah. Feel free to write if you have any questions.

(Hope this works, this is my first time posting anything on SWJ).

Feel free to write with questions
    CVM
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-06-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Some comparison with Challenger 2 performance might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Some comparison with Challenger 2 performance might be a good idea.

Yeah, from what I understand, the Challenger 2 performed quite impressively in southern Iraq.

Outside of Iraq, I also heard the Canadian Leopard tanks performed well in Afghanistan.

Yeah, from what I understand, the Challenger 2 performed quite impressively in southern Iraq.

Outside of Iraq, I also heard the Canadian Leopard tanks performed well in Afghanistan.
    For my own edification, is there a standard set of metrics for evaluating performance of armour?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Go Leopards

Andrew,

There are some posts on the Canadian use of the Leopard, referring to published articles; the Danes also deployed Leopards and the Germans have not used them. IIRC the Danes used their armour in "over-watch" positions and loaned some to the USMC upon arrival in Helmand.

Cannot help readily on the UK Challengers in Iraq.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    For my own edification, is there a standard set of metrics for evaluating performance of armour?
    I am still in the early phases of my research. I haven’t found any standards metrics on main battle tank (MBT) performance thus far. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

That said, I judge the tank's performance as successful if it accomplishes its mission. And from what I’ve read thus far, the heavy armor and devastating firepower of the Abrams, Challenger, and Leopard MBTs have enabled these vehicles to accomplish their missions, while excelling in combat against insurgents in Iraq and, in the case of the Leopard, in the Afghanistan. These vehicles can simply go places where very few other vehicles can go.

Still, there are drawbacks to the use of armor against insurgents, especially in urban areas. Although the intimidation factor of tanks is useful against insurgents, it can also create a sense of fear among the population we are trying to win over. The destructive power of the tanks' main gun can also create excess collateral damage that can be counterproductive to the mission to “win hearts and minds.”

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Andrew,

There are some posts on the Canadian use of the Leopard, referring to published articles; the Danes also deployed Leopards and the Germans have not used them. IIRC the Danes used their armour in "over-watch" positions and loaned some to the USMC upon arrival in Helmand.

Cannot help readily on the UK Challengers in Iraq.

I didn't know the Danes deployed their Leopoards to Afghanistan. Sounds like a good topic to look into. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MeyersCV View Post
    Gentlemen, I hope you find the two attachments helpful. The two documents were written immediately following the first month of PHANTOM FURY/AL FAJR and are an account of Company A, 2d Tanks in Fallujah. Feel free to write if you have any questions.

(Hope this works, this is my first time posting anything on SWJ).

Feel free to write with questions
    CVM
    Thanks for the material. I especially enjoyed this line: "Tanks are a morale booster to the infantry and a morale devastator to the enemy.”

My advisor will be quite pleased that I have some additional primary sources to add to my paper. Thanks!

My advisor will be quite pleased that I have some additional primary sources to add to my paper. Thanks!
    I don’t know whether you want to do archival research for your thesis or even if relevant material has yet been deposited there, but I have made one visit to the National Archives at College Park and a great many of the visitors were in uniform. Since you are at Maryland it wouldn’t be too much of a hike for you. The experience would make you feel like a real historian, in any case.

I visited the National Museum of the Marine Corps in December. Again, a good experience regardless of how topical it might or might not be to your research project.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    I don’t know whether you want to do archival research for your thesis or even if relevant material has yet been deposited there, but I have made one visit to the National Archives at College Park and a great many of the visitors were in uniform. Since you are at Maryland it wouldn’t be too much of a hike for you. The experience would make you feel like a real historian, in any case.

I visited the National Museum of the Marine Corps in December. Again, a good experience regardless of how topical it might or might not be to your research project.
    As a student in the DC area, I am fortunate to have tons of great resources for military history reserach nearby. I have not ventured into the National Archieves at College Park, but it's definitely on my to do list.

I have been to the National Museum of the Marine Corps, which, as you said, is a great experience.

Thanks for the tips!

What's amazing is how much of this had to be relearned from the experience of armor in Vietnam.

There was also a special issue of the "Armor and Cavalry Journal" a couple of years back that covered COIN in Iraq with a heavy focus on (obviously) armored elements along with some historical perspective articles. That might be of some use.

Linked from here, actually...SWJ post.
    Last edited by Steve Blair; 07-06-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added link to post
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    What's amazing is how much of this had to be relearned from the experience of armor in Vietnam.

There was also a special issue of the "Armor and Cavalry Journal" a couple of years back that covered COIN in Iraq with a heavy focus on (obviously) armored elements along with some historical perspective articles. That might be of some use.

Linked from here, actually...SWJ post.
    Yet another lesson from Vietnam that the Army forgot.

I didn't know the Danes deployed their Leopoards to Afghanistan. Sounds like a good topic to look into. Thanks!
    DTI had an article on Danes and Canucks deploying and using Leo2s in AFG. Maybe 2 years ago.

Council Member

Andrew:

Military.com has unit forums, like 64th Armor, so you can also track to first hand contacts through that source.