Thread: Norway attacks: what happened and the implications (new title)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Bombing in Oslo and Massacre on Utoya

I notice that there is no thread on this yet, probably because it is a little too close to home for many of us. Or even home for some of us. The idea of the threat is not to turn what is a tragedy into a case study but to look at what these events mean.

I think this attack in Norway is relevent to this board. A couple of observations while watching the events unfold on tv was that the immediate response was that this was AQ or an AQ linked group. Suggestions were then made that it might be an attack my right wing elements. Knowing very little about white supremacy in Norway and with a quick search on wikipedia yielding nothing, I thought this would be a good place for people to compile info and thoughts. This is indeed a worrying development, far right views and politics have been on the rise in Northern Europe over the last decade but even so such an event was unthinkable.

Are the far right the new threat? Will we see other states cracking down on far right groups, the EDL in England or the various militias in the States.

EDIT: Thanks for the merge.
    Last edited by TDB; 07-23-2011 at 10:43 AM.