Quote Originally Posted by TDB View Post
Thank you very much for this insight. I think as you point out this idea of ownership is key. Is it odd that the more I watch event unfold in Lybia the more I think "I'd really like to visit". There is something about the people, whether it is simply romanticism, I don't know. Lybians just strike me as a nice bunch of people, the Gaddafi clan aside. Tripoli, from its skyline at least looks to be booming (honestly no pun intended). So hurry up NTC I want to come on holiday.

Been there a number of times (everytime in gheddafian era) and I know a good number of old hands that have lived there before 1970.

Before Gheddafy Libya was something very similar to a little unknown paradise. Libya people are very friendly and with oil there was no need at all to work. The agricuture was very rich (the best fruit that I ever ate) and life was easy. Libya relied heavily on the west.

Libya without Gheddafy could have become a sort of Qatar or Dubai in the Mediterrean. A paradise fo us italians (and for the Libyans first of all)

With G everything changed. Sometime it could be quite dangerous to be in Tripoli. No tourism was allowed until a few years ago and you were followed from the first minute you arrived.

Anyway let's hope for the future. If you go to Libya don't forget to visit the roman antiquities. Something unforgettable.