Thread: The new Libya: various aspects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Missiles are in many places. So what?

The concerns about Libyan ManPADS don't even stand a "so what" test.
    You can buy ManPADS on the black market.
    It is actually rather harder than you think to buy a working MANPADS with a functional seeker head, coolant, and battery, and it is certainly quite difficult to get a later generation weapon. Moreover, the buyback programs both increase the price and, in some cases, generate useful intelligence on the black market.

AQIM, for example, hasn't deployed them in the Sahel, although they would be very useful. Prior to that, they weren't used in Algeria at all during the civil war (so far as I'm aware--I stand to be corrected). The ones used in Mombassa in 2002 were old, poor quality SA-7s.. indeed, it isn't even clear the attackers had managed to fire functional missiles (see my comment on "working" MANPADS). There has been no confirmed used of them by Hamas, in part because they previously couldn't be easily obtained on the black market (I suspect the Iranians were worried about chain-of-custody, since they largely smuggle through black market intermediaries; now there are reports that Hamas has them via Libya). Neither the Hawthis nor AQIP appear to have used them in Yemen.

No one is suggesting MANPADS be a driver of policy in Libya, nor have they been. Ought it be one of the (many) things the IC and NTC address? Of course.
    Last edited by Rex Brynen; 08-26-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

I second what Rex says and would add that missiles are missiles are missiles does not apply to the SA-24. According to the Old Crows, it is a whole 'nother animal.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    No one is suggesting MANPADS be a driver of policy in Libya, nor have they been. Ought it be one of the (many) things the IC and NTC address? Of course.
    Short of having the starship enterprise stored in Area 51, there's still nothing they can do about it without going well over the cliff in terms of resource allocation.

It's neither rational nor good nor advisable nor anything else positive to be bothered by things you cannot change.

This is clearly a no win situation - no matter what you do. Be a man and stand reality. There are some missiles somewhere, someone might get the idea to use them. So what.

It's total hubris to think that this should bother a government on a different continent. There is nothing that you can do about it that is not stupid.

Besides -there are millions of possible concerns with as much (little) 'importance' as this. You can't change that. get over it. Don't spend any valuable attention on such nonsense.
    You need the attention for issues that can actually addressed in a 'win' fashion.