During World War II the 10th Mountain trained at Dolly Sods, West Virginia, now a wilderness recreation area. It's high plateau country and said to have cliffs that the mountain troops used for training on climbing and rappelling. Never saw the cliffs the time I was there.

A girlfriend and I went camping there in 1986. Before we went there she told me how pristine and untouched it was, just like the way it was when Mother Nature had made it. Therefore imagine my startled reaction when we drove in and there was a big sign in color mounted on two posts saying
EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE!
IF YOU FIND ONE OF THESE DO NOT TOUCH!

This of course was followed on the sign by images of 81mm, 4.2-inch and 105-mm projectiles. My thought was here I go again.

The main road through the recreation area is straight as an arrow courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, not a more winding road like civilians or park rangers would have built. Nancy and I had a nice weekend. A local greasy spoon where we ate breakfast had an iron-framed Henry Rifle from the Civil War in fair condition for sale for $700 that I did not buy; today it would be worth about $20-40K, it's hard to say.