Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post

Yes, do not let the military be used as any easy route to get a degree in exchange for a few years service. Select them when they are young, 'bright-eyed and bushy-tailed', test them early (thank those who don't make it for their efforts and treat them with dignity on exit) and sit with the successful young officers and plan their futures sketching out both a high-road route and a low-road route telling them what is expected of them and how they will be assessed (and again given these young men are giving the best years of their lives treat them with absolute honesty and respect).
That would be great. Especially give them a chance for a low-road route.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post

I assume this is for a volunteer? (dealing with conscripts would be based on different criteria)

Your thinking on this is interesting and I would be interested in how potential officers would view such a stepped career process. I like the idea that the military gets to decide who goes and who stays rather than guaranteed employment for a number of years by regulation.
Most German reserve officers were/are conscipts. Usually the candidates were asked after 6 months by their company commander to become a ROC and stay for 2 years (with better pay). I know some good reserve officers who would really enjoy the model Fuchs proposes.
However, with an all-volunteer force the ROC supply may be hurt.