Quote Originally Posted by Sarajevo071 View Post
To elaborate my way of thinking, I will remind you of deep and long relations with Ex-Yugoslavian Army (either thru technology or strategic co-operation) and concept of Yugoslavian (next) partisan/guerilla war... Let enemy deep in the country (either Russian forces thru Bulgaria and Hungary or Romania; or NATO troops from Italy and/or Austria or Greece), go low in start, reorganize, and use guerilla war and hidden stash of weapons, fuel, factories, hidden network of fox holes, trenches and bunkers in the middle of the country...
True though there was division between federal (JLA) and local (TO-Teritorialna obramba, teritorial defence) forces. Federals were supposed to carry on regular fight (withdrawing to Bosnian bastion protected by rough and wooded terrain) while TO would wage guerilla war behind enemy lines, relying on knowledge of terrain and support of population (being locals they would have this).

Insisting that they lack of "single command and control or even leadership" is proving that they are not that strong or dangerous, it's simple not true. Please look at examples from Chechnya, Bosnia, and Afghanistan (against Russia)... For YEARS fighters there lack single command and control and leadership and yet manage to wage good fights and war. And to win mind you... In those Chechen commanders interviews (so precious from tactical stand point!) Chechen commanders said by themselves that they disorganization help them to win!
Disagree on most points. Chechnya (depending on which war you are talking about) was a para state with all functions of such state. Government, military... so they had central leadership (though rogues did exist). Ditto for Bosnia. It had functions of a state and military (though military was weak). I agree with you an Afghanistan and said so before.

PS. I am sorry for delaying so much to answer you and I do apologize on length of this post.
Well, sharing a view is always good.