Quote Originally Posted by aktarian View Post
Agree to a degree. I think disorganisation you refer to was result of arming and weapons imbalance between Serbs and Bosniacs. Bosniac presidency was able to exercise control over it's units (with later exception of Bihac and Fikret Abdic). No such control existed in afghanistan and no such control exists in Iraq. Bosnia had somebody who could speak for all Bosniacs and who would be obeyed.
Yes and no. There were many groups out of they effective control. In Sarajevo for example, they was numerous "police action" during the war to bring those groups together and only in late 1995. they was put under one command. Similar in other parts of Bosnia. They all recognized authority of Mr. Izetbegovic but distrusted people around him (politician or military). Only Izetbegovic could ask someone to do so and they will obey... There was no other such strong command or authority in those years.

If you are talking about Serb victories I'd put the sucess on weapons advantage (specially arty and AFVs) Serbs had. And most later Bosniac victories were achieved either with cooperation with Croatia or after NATO airstrikes..
I was thinking about Bosnian victories (in resisting the Serbian advances and conquering towns of Sarajevo, Tuzla, Zenica and Bihac). Second, some major battles for Bosnia was not achieved with Croatian or NATO help since some of those victories was against Bosnian Croatian forces, with help of Croatia, after they betrayed joint fight against Serbs and start fighting for Croatian state interests. Major forces that succeed in that were foreign and domestic mujahideen units, and couple Bosnian brigades...

Also, talking about major victories on the end, Croatia helped (and only on the Bosnia-Croatia border where Croats need Bosnians) only where Bosnians lack of, which was heavy artillery and tanks... But they were very careful not to help too much. Major battle and victory in Bosnia (Vozuca battle), was fight and win by Bosnian forces and Mujahideen units.

Well, we were one country until 15 years ago (I'm from Slovenia) and I study military matters so this interests me.
Good to know that, Slovenac. I am Bosnian from Sarajevo (who spend all war there, if you wish to know), and one who was involved in military/police for long time.