Thread: Foreign Internal Defense (Indigenous Forces)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default On Cultural Experiences and FID

To All

I have said that I am building a MiTT/ETT reader as a parallel to a handbook. As part of that effort, I am putting together an article that deals with cultural awareness and immersion.

Here is what I am looking for from those of you with extensive experience in this realm:

A short vignette type account of where you were, what you were doing, and a specific incident of where cultural understanding led to success or failure. your vignette if used would be inserted as one of a series of illustrative examples in the larger essay I am writing.

Stan: hopefully you will not send me a vignette about the cultural difficulty in dealing with a irrascible colonel from Texas

PM me if you have something.

best

Tom

Tom,

I'm new here and still trying to find my way around your website. I'm not sure how to PM you and not even sure what that means. I lived among the Vietnamese in a rural setting for about 12 months during the war. Our small unit worked with local militia troops. I also spent many months there after the war and lived among, and had many conversations with, former friend and foe alike. I have been "immersed" in a foreign setting for nearly 13 years, still in this part of the world, and with fairly extensive travel in Laos and in Cambodia.

I could probably work something up for you with some examples which might be helpful.

Please advise if you are interested.