Since last year there is some adjustment underway in Germany. A good example is the last Tarifverhandlung between the strong IG Metall union and employers, with 4,3% pay rise for next year. The deal is for only done for South-Westgermany, better Baden-Wrttemberg or 800,000 but will most likely be adopted by the rest of the country with its 3,6 million workers.

From the FAZ

This is good news for the workers and if I look at the results of many a German company and the dividends it is more then justified. Anyway this should make it easier for struggling countries to become competitive but it is just a small step on a long road.

I enjoy btw the service of Deutsche Welle. It has also an English channel, which is a bit strange, and has great short videos about business:

To China and back

German Green technology for Japan

Boomtime in China - bringing German-type training to China.

P.S: Nepal: Efficient water mills produce electricity

An uncle of mine is in the business and here in the Alps there are still small "social" plants. Having been in the Himalaya, with many villages far away from roads and many streams I have wondered about this topic. Properly done it should be highly efficient and bring big benefits.