Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iranian Plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to US Thwarted

Default Iranian Plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to US Thwarted

Congratulations to the men and women of the countries and agencies that foiled this incredible plot to assassinate a Saudi Ambassador on US soil.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44861178...news-security/

"We wish to thank the men and women of the United Network for Command and Law Enforcement (U.N.C.L.E.) without whose cooperation the production of this television show would not be possible" closing tag line from the original television show about a theoretical World Wide Law Enforcement Agency.

Link to a description of the the Man From U.N.C.L.E. television series.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_from_uncle
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-12-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: stuff. Moved to this thread from a LE thread

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Congratulations to the men and women of the countries and agencies that foiled this incredible plot to assassinate a Saudi Ambassador on US soil.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44861178...news-security/
    Whoa! That sounds like a BFD, as Mr. Biden might say.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-12-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Moved to this thread from a LE thread
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Interesting Cartel twist on the Iranian plot -

The Justice Department says one of the men – Manssor Arbabsiar, a naturalized U.S. citizen holding an Iranian passport – arranged to hire for the assassination someone in Mexico who he thought was an associate of a drug trafficking cartel. The person in Mexico actually was a DEA confidential source who was posing as a cartel associate, the Justice Department says.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/11...nvolving-iran/

I'll just leave this 2001 bit from the Memory Hole here -
    MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican federal police arrested a people smuggler who sneaked illegal immigrants, including Iraqis and Iranians, into the United States, the attorney-general's office said on Wednesday.
    http://www.hacer.org/current/Mex066.php

...........aaaaaaaaaaaand this tidbit
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-12-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Moved to this thread from a LE thread
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default Iranian Plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to US Thwarted

US intelligence and law enforcement agencies have reported that they have thwarted a plot by individuals residing with the US to kill the Saudi Ambassador to Washington at the behest of elements with the Iranian Government.

I heard about this story earlier on CNN, but much more in terms of detail is now coming out about it.

This looks like it could be pretty big news,

Here is a link to the story(hope for the sake of the mods that it hasn't been posted yet),

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/11...ran/?hpt=hp_t1

“[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

This is all very strange; and frankly I have my suspicions. I have already heard Rep. Peter King (R–Tel Aviv) on CNN call this “an act of war”.

Why would the Quds Force need to outsource wetwork to Mexicans?
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Default It does seem awful clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    This is all very strange; and frankly I have my suspicions.
    Yeah, the couple of things I have read and heard about it beyond Holder’s statement rang my incredulity bell. It does seem pretty clunky. Maybe the QF is trying to feel out US intelligence capabilities and political will? Maybe they didn’t expect the plot to go anywhere beyond the front pages with the idea that the world’s Shi'ites (particularly Bahrainis) would associate the plot with an Iranian willingness to stand up for them? Or maybe I am overthinking things.

On the positive side, the wording of Holder’s statement would seem to indicate that some public acknowledgement is being made that Ahmadinejad is not the whole of the Iranian government. Though that one is so long overdue—IMHO, at least—that I don’t know how much it will matter at this point.
    Last edited by ganulv; 10-12-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: wording
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Diversion

is an old tactic...

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Yeah, the couple of things I have read and heard about it beyond Holder’s statement rang my incredulity bell. It does seem pretty clunky. Maybe the QF is trying to feel out US intelligence capabilities and political will? Maybe they didn’t expect the plot to go anywhere beyond the front pages with the idea that the world’s Shi'ites (particularly Bahrainis) would associate the plot with an Iranian willingness to stand up for them? Or maybe I am overthinking things.

On the positive side, the wording of Holder’s statement would seem to indicate that some public acknowledgement is being made that Ahmadinejad is not the whole of the Iranian government. Though that one is so long overdue—IMHO, at least—that I don’t know how much it will matter at this point.
    I mean if you think about it, the QF came quite close to succeeding, given if it hadn't been an informant they were talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    Or maybe I am overthinking things.
    Maybe you aren't. Who benefits from table thumping statements of martial intent by US congressmen? The current Iranian government. Maybe this thing was designed to fail in a public way to provoke those statements. Like Ken says, diversion, only the party to be diverted is the Iranian people
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Among others...

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    only the party to be diverted is the Iranian people
    The Administration has known of this since June. The 'plot' had not progressed far enough to be danger OR to rope in more evidence which almost certainly would have been garnered in another few months and had the potential for action gotten too close, it could've been nipped.

Why go public now? Not only or even necessarily the Iranian people. There's more to it. We'll see...

Geez, talk about conspiracy theories, you guys are great.

Default Yep

"There's more to it. We'll see... "

Possible reaction to what appears to be an American/Israeli assassination campaign against Iranian nuclear scientists? Who knows - I doubt we'll ever really know.

Council Member

Maybe there is a conspiracy here somewhere. For now I think the more likely answer is that Iran is just as capable of being a dumbass as any other country.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Maybe there is a conspiracy here somewhere. For now I think the more likely answer is that Iran is just as capable of being a dumbass as any other country.
    Aw, Entropy. What's with the voice of reason? You're no fun at all.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    The Administration has known of this since June. The 'plot' had not progressed far enough to be danger OR to rope in more evidence which almost certainly would have been garnered in another few months and had the potential for action gotten too close, it could've been nipped.

Why go public now? Not only or even necessarily the Iranian people. There's more to it. We'll see...
    To save Holder from being fried for the "Fast & Furious" lies, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Has it struck you that both might be true, and it's a neck-and-neck race between Holder & Tehran?

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Geez, talk about conspiracy theories, you guys are great.
    Thank you, one show per weeknight, one matinee every Saturday and remember to tip the wait staff.

Council Member

The conspiracy theories have already begun and the people spewing them are deadly serious. False flag, mossaf etc etc, repeat ad nauseam. What an age we live in.