Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iranian Plot to kill Saudi Ambassador to US Thwarted

Default If there were indeed multiple actors, then by definition…

Quote Originally Posted by TDB View Post
    The conspiracy theories have already begun and the people spewing them are deadly serious. False flag, mossaf etc etc, repeat ad nauseam. What an age we live in.
    The Federal Prosecutor doesn’t seem to be immune to the mania. The first count of the DOJ complaint is “Conspiracy to Murder A Foreign Official.”
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

I'll just let Henry Rollins serenade y'all absorb the tidbits down below.

"It strikes me that Iran and the Quds Force would not conduct a mission like this. It's possible but unlikely," said Dubai-based defense analyst Theodore Karasik.

"It doesn't fit the modus operandi of the Quds Force or Iranian intelligence services. If it was true, it would be one of the most botched operations of its kind."
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79B4YA20111012

President Barack Obama was first briefed on the alleged plot in June and directed government agencies to support the investigation, U.S. officials said.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...343308154.html

It is being reported that following the charges against Iran, the Obama Administration is seeking to use the development as leverage to “unite the world” against Iran, with Vice President Biden saying, “That’s the surest way to be able to get results.”
    http://blog.heritage.org/2011/10/12/...ranian-threat/
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default If it wasn't so serious, it would almost be funny.

A viewpoint from Australia:http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/...rug-baron.aspx

The most intriguing issue is not so much the brazenness of the plot but the absolute amateurishness of it.....

...given this was perhaps the boldest offensive action ever carried out by Iranian intelligence, why were the communications conducted using an open mobile direct from the US to 'senior Quds Force members' in downtown Tehran? And why were the down-payments wired directly into the cartel's nominated bank account from overseas?
    Ends with:
    It is too early to tell what the truth is, but I have some sympathy for Hillary Clinton's argument that 'You couldn't make this up, could you?'.
    davidbfpo

While we may never know the the true facts of this little operation, I do think that the US would be well served by not coming out too terribly strongly about a country that conducts an operation against a person they have deemed to be a High Value Target who just happens to be enjoying sanctuary within the borders of a sovereign third party nation at the time of the operation without the express authorization and approval of said operation by that violated 3rd party.

Never know when we will launch our next operation along those same lines; certainly the President hangs much of his hopes for re-election upon the results of the last one.

Once Pandora's box is opened, regardless of reason, all manner of problems will emerge.

(And I hate to think how we might have reacted if Pakistani security forces had acted to "thwart" our operation on bin Laden...)
    Last edited by Bob's World; 10-13-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    The Federal Prosecutor doesn’t seem to be immune to the mania. The first count of the DOJ complaint is “Conspiracy to Murder A Foreign Official.”
    zing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    While we may never know the the true facts of this little operation, I do think that the US would be well served by not coming out too terribly strongly about a country that conducts an operation against a person they have deemed to be a High Value Target who just happens to be enjoying sanctuary within the borders of a sovereign third party nation at the time of the operation without the express authorization and approval of said operation by that violated 3rd party.

Never know when we will launch our next operation along those same lines; certainly the President hangs much of his hopes for re-election upon the results of the last one.

Once Pandora's box is opened, regardless of reason, all manner of problems will emerge.

(And I hate to think how we might have reacted if Pakistani security forces had acted to "thwart" our operation on bin Laden...)
    Very good point.

But, and I am not trying to be stroppy, if this thing, or something like it had actually been carried out, it would be a violation of our sovereignty. Wouldn't we have to do something?

Just an aside to an aside, I don't think there was any danger at all the Pak Army was going to thwart that op. I think they knew it was coming and made damn sure they were looking the other way.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Unanswered questions over the alleged Iranian plot

One of many such articles, but maybe of interest for American readers:
    The affair leaves several questions unanswered.
    Link:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ssination-plot
    davidbfpo

Council Member

InSightCrime, 9 April 2014: Terrorism and Crime in the Americas - "It's Business"
    ...If we were to put a label on any of this activity, it would probably be just that: it's business. These interactions appear to be, more than anything else, a way to achieve short-term monetary goals. Drug trafficking, contraband, weapons trafficking, diamond smuggling and numerous other activities help the terrorist groups reach these goals. Intermediaries like Harb and Joumaa facilitate these deals and perhaps have some ideological affinity to one or more of these organizations. But this does not mean these organizations have developed longstanding or even short-term working relationships. Security analyst Douglas Farah has aptly described them as "one-night stands."...
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-09-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Copied to the Terrorism in the USA thread