Thread: Breaking News! Rumsfeld is stepping down!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Confirmation process....

It will be telling how smoothly the confirmation process goes. Should tell us alot about how serious all of this talk of bipartisanship from Pelosi and Bush is.
    Don't taze me bro!

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Rock View Post
    It will be telling how smoothly the confirmation process goes. Should tell us alot about how serious all of this talk of bipartisanship from Pelosi and Bush is.
    It will be as serious, I'll bet, as such talk usually is. Bipartisanship usually means YOU work with US and nothing else.

Been there, heard that line before.

Council Member

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Gates' confirmation went through relatively quickly. They need to get someone in place, Gates is more tied to the first Bush's presidency than this one, no major baggage, and he's got a decent track record. I would think that the last thing the Democrats would want to do would be to look like they're being unsupportive of the troops in a time of war and tying the SECDEF up in a lengthy confirmation would do just that because it would be seen as a distractor. Plus, I think that Rumsfeld's personality had a lot to do with his problems with Congress. He was reportedly hostile to them from the beginning.

Council Member

Also, maybe the Democrats will consider Bush's immediate reversal of his recent support for Rumsfeld punishment enough for now. Getting rid of Rumsfeld, regardless of how unpopular he was, was a big concession for Bush. The SECDEF was the focal point of a lot of the conflicts between Bush and the Dems and whether it's been a good trait or not, Bush has deservedly earned a reputation for being extremely loyal to those perceived as loyal to him. I think that firing Rumsfeld was not something he wanted to do at all...it was a concession to the election.
    Last edited by UCrawford; 11-08-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Default Maybe....

I hope your right UCrawford. For the sake of the troops. Lets hope that the polticians still remember that we have our finest overseas trying to do a job that THEY sent them to do.
    Don't taze me bro!

Sgt. Rock, just in case Gates dosen't work out...ahhh do you have any major plans for the next two years???

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Rock View Post
    I hope your right UCrawford. For the sake of the troops. Lets hope that the polticians still remember that we have our finest overseas trying to do a job that THEY sent them to do.
    I hope so too. Nothing would make me happier than to see things get back on track so our guys can do their jobs.