Thread: On the avoidance of small wars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    What Ken said... plus all too often the monkeys hitting the keys aren't the ones getting the shocks, which messes up the feedback loop a bit.
    Ahhh, I've got something related to this:

Recalls for peace?

Quick thought:

The U.S. Americans are practising a thing called "recall". Recently, a couple state senators were replaced by special elections that were triggered by petitions (that met a certain quantity requirement).

This made me think about something.

How about an automatic triggering of a special (potential recall) election for all federal politicians who supported military action without obvious self-defence character (= repelling an invading army, defending in air war or breaking a naval blockade) or unambiguously worded UNSC approval?

They wouldn't have to fear much if they have much popular support (= almost a necessity for successful modern warfare), after all!

Default I can agree with variations on that...

Better is a constitutional and legal design that precludes military action without strong, better than simple majority Legislative assent. The US Constitution laid the groundwork for that but over 200+ years, the governing mandarins have figured out several ways to circumvent the intent. Good start, just didn't go quite far enough...

Even more comprehensive rulings probably wouldn't work totally. People are quite adept at figuring out the loopholes and shortfalls in any system or process. Flaw in the human condition. I suspect in the end analysis the Marines have it right "Nobody really wants a war but somebody better know how."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Better is a constitutional and legal design that precludes military action without strong, better than simple majority Legislative assent. The US Constitution laid the groundwork for that but over 200+ years, the governing mandarins have figured out several ways to circumvent the intent. Good start, just didn't go quite far enough...

Even more comprehensive rulings probably wouldn't work totally. People are quite adept at figuring out the loopholes and shortfalls in any system or process. Flaw in the human condition. I suspect in the end analysis the Marines have it right "Nobody really wants a war but somebody better know how."
    That idea has never worked and will not work in the future.

The US problem is their political system that allows 'very strange people' to be elected to the Presidency.

Deal with that issue and the problem goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    ...The US problem is their political system that allows 'very strange people' to be elected to the Presidency.
    Okay. This one made me chuckle. +1