Nov. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev ordered the military to prepare to "destroy" the command capability of the planned U.S. missile-defense system in Europe.
"I have ordered the armed forces to develop measures to ensure, if necessary, that we can destroy the command and control systems" of the U.S. shield, Medvedev said. "These measures are appropriate, effective and low-cost."
"This is a Cold War-style issue that can be damaging for Russia-U.S. relations," Gevorgyan said by phone. "Unfortunately, it's going to stay for a while and during an election period it is an issue that can attract a lot of attention."
"The West has been listening to Russian concerns, but it's true that the Russians are disappointed with the dialogue," Roman Kuzniar, an adviser to Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski, said by phone today. "I don't think they'll station missiles in Kaliningrad though. I'm more worried about the Russian threats to withdraw from the arms control treaty."

"This is a Cold War-style issue that can be damaging for Russia-U.S. relations," Gevorgyan said by phone. "Unfortunately, it's going to stay for a while and during an election period it is an issue that can attract a lot of attention."
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1eYGdjYZq