Thread: Remembrance Poppies in the United States?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Remembrance Poppies in the United States?

A Canadian friend of mine spending a first Remembrance Day in the U.S. is feeling a bit homesick due to the lack of Remembrance Poppies. Several sources I browsed note their presence in the United States in the past and perhaps today via an association with the American Legion. I have never seen them Stateside, but perhaps this is because commemoration traditions where I was born and raised are distinct.
    Does anyone on the forum hail from a region where they are a feature of Veterans’ Day or Memorial Day?
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Some background

As ever the BBC News is to hand: 'Who, What, Why: Which countries wear poppies?', with some interesting comments on far the tradition has spread:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15637074
    davidbfpo

As we tend to call it Veterans' Day, I think the custom has changed over the years (as pointed out in the BBC piece). I don't recall ever seeing poppies in the Western US on Veterans' Day, but did see them on occasion on Memorial Day.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

They are certainly rare, though this past memorial day there was a group handing them out in a front of a Walmart in Colorado.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Default It's another plot to drag the old Bear out of his cave...

The Rememberance Poppy is a US invention dating from the early 1920s. It was worn on Armistice Day, November 11 and not Memorial day as I recall. Memorial or Decoration Day was mildly celebratory with long Speeches, Parades and such, often to cemeteries to decorate the graves (hence the earlier name) followed by picnics. Memoriial Day as we know it today didn't really come on a nationwide basis until after WW II.

Armistice Day OTOH was in November, not lending itself to outside partying or long speeches and was rather solemn. While the Poppy later was adopted and spread throughout the Commonwealth, its use dropped off in America after WW II as the WW I generation died and the day became All Veteran's and then just Veteran's Day in the early 50s just after Korea.

I do not know but would not be surprised if there was still some Poppy usage in the US along the Canadian border. I don't recall seeing any in the South since the early 60s.

It was a WW I specific, Flanders Fields idea and the price paid by the Commonwealth Nations during that war and the relatively slight American cost also have a bearing on far greater Commonwealth use I expect.

Council Member

Default VFW Buddy Poppies

The Veterans of Foreign Wars "poppy program" (sounds neferious ) - national and local.

Regards

Mike

Many thanks for the responses, all.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    As ever the BBC News is to hand: 'Who, What, Why: Which countries wear poppies?', with some interesting comments on far the tradition has spread:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15637074
    A write-up worth bookmarking, even!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    It was a WW I specific, Flanders Fields idea and the price paid by the Commonwealth Nations during that war and the relatively slight American cost also have a bearing on far greater Commonwealth use I expect.
    In 1918 in a small town somewhere in France a young local woman took the time to say to my great-grandfather, “You Americans, you think you won the war by yourselves!” as his unit marched through to an otherwise incredibly enthusiastic greeting. I suspect that the French may well see and appreciate Americans for all that we are even better than many of us do.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)