Thread: Green on Blue: causes and responses (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
    I think you guys are being too hard on yourselves or have extremely inflated opinions about the abilities of your armies !! The Afghans in general and the Pashtuns specifically see Westerners as violently different in terms of religious, cultural, ethnic and political orientation. To top it all you appear the losing side with a planned departure date !! What did you expect ? To complicate things you have a rabidly anti US country through which your major Lines of Communication pass. I think that you're doing pretty well for now. My solution : shore up the moderates, Hazaras, Shias & Tajiks, kick the Pakis in the balls while you skedaddle.
    History will judge the West harshly over the Afghanistan debacle.

US and Brit politicians must carry the can for this but the US and Brit militaries also come out of this poorly. Then as per normal the politicians will get off scott free and the "generals" may... just may, suffer reputational damage but will not lose their pensions. Once again the price for political and military incompetence is paid by soldiers with their lives and physical mutilations.

What remains bizarre is the almost universal knee jerk blind loyalty displayed towards the politicians and generals - whose performance varies between plain incompetence and criminal negligence - by the rank and file soldiers. This I suggest is a psychological pathology worthy of study.

Last edited by JMA; 09-30-2012 at 06:32 AM.